Friday, February 1, 2013

Tags of the Fan!


Funny when I finished the blog post last week, I kept rehearsing it in my head thinking of what I DIDN’T say.

My dad has always been the big obnoxious fan going to ballgames in full regalia.  He is known for carrying his stadium-padded seat in one hand and a megaphone in the other. (He should repent, he stole the megaphone from an opposing team.)

As each of my brothers played and excelled in football, we would hear him calling out his litany of “tag lines.”  Tag lines that no one but our family understood.  To fully appreciate my dad’s tag lines you must first understand his persona.  My dad was 6’3”, wears a size 13 shoe and usually hovers around 230 pounds.  When his voice would boom through the stadium everyone knew it.

From his often unsportsmen and hysterically funny comments to the referees or the opposing team or our team, you knew what my dad was thinking.  For example; when he took off his glasses and offered them to the referee, we all knew the insinuation.  When the referee looked up to him in the stands, my dad would yell, “Yeah, I’m talking to you and I’ll be glad to bring the glasses to you.”

Dad was never bashful about offering the Coach some pointers or plays about a poorly called or executed plan. We all ducked our heads knowing Dad was about to hurl his opinions.  Although, he meant what he said, he often would find the coaches, players, referees and even fans to apologize to after the game to be sure he hadn’t offended them and to ask forgiveness.

Along with his funny one-liners and actions, my dad would shout out his tag lines to my brothers.  “C. A.” Which our family knew meant Christian attitude,  or “C.T.” which meant Christian testimony.  One of our favorites was “Pursuit Duke!”

My youngest brother was called “Duke."  No one called him this other than my dad from the stands.  It was on this tag line that my brother was to hunt out and put his teeth into the opposition.

The games have not been played by my brothers since their college years almost 20 years ago.

My dad has a new tag line.  I softer more gentler perspective on this world has lead up to new tag lines from Dad. 

My dad over the past couple of weeks has been displaying some very uncharacteristic behavior.  Slurred words, not being able to complete thoughts and tasks are just a few of his new behaviors.

It culminated yesterday with a trip to the ER and a decision to do emergency surgery.  His brain was filling with blood causing pressure and the previously mentioned behaviors.

The night before he went to the hospital, I spoke to him on the phone.  He was unable to communicate anything I could really understand.  Minutes before his surgery I called him.  The Lord allowed him to put words in order.  He told me he loves me.  He finished with his most recent tag line, “Just remember who’s in charge!”

As my daddy was wheeled away to surgery, unsure of the success or outcome, he had given me my charge. My tag line. “Just remember who’s in charge!”


We know who is in charge.  Do we trust Him?  Trust Him enough to make “all things work together for the good of those who love Him and are called according to His purpose.”  Do I believe He can do whatever He says He can do?  Do I trust Him to love our children and our families far more than I do?

So for a second week I ask, what is your tag line?

What will your children remember hearing you say over and over?  Are they hearing words of affirmation and encouragement?  Have you proven to them that you live by what you say? Can they trust your tag line?

Consider your words…Proverbs 18: 21  Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.”



For those who have read this far, my sweet daddy, Lawrence is still in ICU with more than a foot of staples around his head.  The surgeon is pleased with the surgery and expects a full recovery.  Please pray against the threat of infection and his on going improvement.  I am forever grateful for your thoughts and prayers for the One who taught me, “Just remember who is in charge!"

4 comments:

  1. Joannie,

    Thank you for your post and know that your Dad is in my prayers! Dear Lord, Please be with Lawrence and his recovery. Thank you that he knows you and that he knows that you are in charge. As he continues to recover help him and his family to "Just remember who is in charge". Thank you for allowing the doctors to find and correct the problem and that Lawrence will have full recovery! We praise You Lord! Help me to remember to continue to lift up Lawrence in the coming days and weeks. In Jesus Name, Amen
    Missi Mecklenburg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so humbled Missi! Thank you for loving our family enough to stop and pray for my Daddy!! You bless me! Thanks Missi

      Delete
  2. We are praying, Joannie! Thank you for sharing your testimony about your Dad. God is in control and he is absolutely, totally trustworthy and dependable. His love never fails! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes! Praying for a full recovery for your dad. HE is in charge and I'm so glad your dad knows it :) Thank you for sharing, would love to meet him some day <3 U!!

    ReplyDelete