Sunday, February 24, 2013

Training, Training, and then MORE Training - Part 2


Train up a child in the way he should go; even when he is old he will not depart from it. - Proverbs 22:6

All your children shall be taught by the LORD, and great shall be the peace of your children. - Isaiah 54:13



All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be competent, equipped for every good work. 
-2 Timothy 3:16-17

Yesterday, we talked about the importance of sharing scripture with our kids and how to do it through music. The above scriptures remind us that there will be great peace as we raise competent kids, and that if we don't give up they will follow the "path" of the Lord when they grow up. 

Many times I am exhausted and want to give up, and that is why it is so important to bring scripture into every arena of parenting. The Lord reminds me that my labor is NOT in vain and there will be fruit and a harvest if I do not give up. 

And let us not grow weary of doing good,
 for in due season we will reap,
 if we do not give up.
-Galations 6:9

As my kids struggle (or as I do!!), I always try to bring it back to characters we have studied in the Word. Asking them who they relate with most, those obeying the Lord or those struggling to follow. It reminds them, and me, that the Bible is relevant for today and that it is relatable. 

Our family goal is each morning & night to read a Bible story. This doesn't always happen but that is what we are striving towards! I am reminded of His love and forgiveness as I read through His love story, the Bible. How much I need truth in my life daily. The importance that my kids see I place on His Word.

There is so much power in each story in the Bible. Characters that remind us of ourself and the need for a savior. As we pull out scripture, Bible devotions, sing songs of truth...the Lord uses it all to convict and comfort the hearts, of our family, as we try to walk alongside Him in this life. Each week our kids, together, get to pick out one new Bible story at our local Christian bookstore. They love it and so do I. It gets them excited about learning about new Bible characters. 

It's wild how the Lord will use a children's book, song, or lesson to remind us how much HE loves us and that love HE wants us to show our kids.


What do devotions look like in your family? 

What value do you place on Bible reading, memorizing, and sharing?








No comments:

Post a Comment