Monday, February 4, 2013

Let ‘Em Know…Part I

“Come on in flies!” It is the running joke in our family. When I was a little girl, my grandma was cooking in her small, country kitchen with no central A/C. She had a screen on her back door that allowed us to ventilate the kitchen on hot, summer days. Well, one day I was playing with the screen door when my grandma politely asked me to close it so that I wouldn’t let any flies in. For whatever reason, I opened the door as wide as I could and said…”Come on in flies!!!” Let’s just say that I never did that again.

Imagine my shock when my oldest Doodlebug, who had never heard this story before, opened the kitchen door of our previous house and said, “Come on in mosquitoes!” I almost fell to the floor. Is my former disobedience in his genes? I guess so! This little incident prompted a discussion…

I told him what I did that hot, summer day at his great grandma’s house, and I also told him the outcome. He was shocked! “You mean you did something wrong, Mommy?” I sure did, and I had a consequence too! He could hardly believe it!

The other day, I was having a discussion with one of my favorite mom friends. The question came up, “How much should we tell our children about our past?” You see, she has a son who just entered his teen years…and some of the questions and choices that go along with that. My answer, “We don’t have to tell them every detail, but they need to know.” Why? For me personally, it would have made my mom a lot more “credible” in my mind. Instead of her giving me a hypothetical scenario with consequences attached, I would have definitely benefited from a real-life, this is how I learned, type of story.

Consider the following verses:

O my people, listen to my teaching. Open your ears to what I am saying, 2 for I will speak to you in a parable. I will teach you hidden lessons from our past -- 3 stories we have heard and know, stories our ancestors handed down to us.

4 We will not hide these truths from our children but will tell the next generation about the glorious deeds of the LORD. We will tell of his power and the mighty miracles he did.

5 For he issued his decree to Jacob; he gave his law to Israel. He commanded our ancestors to teach them to their children, 6 so the next generation might know them -- even the children not yet born -- that they in turn might teach their children.

7 So each generation can set its hope anew on God, remembering his glorious miracles and obeying his commands.

8 Then they will not be like their ancestors -- stubborn, rebellious, and unfaithful, refusing to give their hearts to God.

Mom, I must say that the remaining verses of this Psalm DO NOT outline Israel’s great accomplishments and God’s greatest rescues of them. Instead, the remaining 64 verses tell of Israel’s rebellion, God’s punishment, Israel’s repentance, and God’s mercy. Let the above eight verses be an encouragement to you. Our children can and will learn from our mistakes, but only if we share it with them.

Challenge: Read Psalm 78 in its entirety, and pray about what stories from your past will benefit your children. Keep in mind that the goal is to point them to the LORD in all things.

Heavenly Father,

Oh how we wish we were perfect! We often do not want to remember some of the foolish things we did…let alone share them with our children. However, your Word boldly proclaims the power of a transformed life. We are a new creation in you. Help our children to know that YOU are the one who cleanses us and redeems us. May our story be an encouragement to them as they are able to witness the power of a transformed life in us. We love you, Lord. Thank you for your grace that changes everything.

In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

 


 

2 comments:

  1. That was a GREAT post... thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Veronica! My little ones are still quite young, but I am praying God will give me the words to say when they hit those teenage years and the questions start rolling in. ;)

    ReplyDelete