Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Priorities Part 5 - Work/Home: Martha or Mary?

 1) God
 2) Husband
 3) Children/Immediate Family                 
 4) Service
 5) Work/Home
 6) Friends
 7) Rest/Refreshment

I know what you're thinking, busy mama!  After spending time with God, serving our husbands, our families, friends, neighbors and church, who has time for work, whether it's inside or outside of the home? At least that's what I was thinking (forgive me!), after a quick review of the priorities that we've examined one by one, since August of 2012.  Really, I could easily fill my days with priorities 1-4 and never even get to 5-7, couldn't you?  Except that little thing called income that we need...or, clean underwear.  Yes, we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us (and I know He is the only reason I am able to do it!), but let's call it what it is - A LOT.

 At the Home of Martha and Mary
38 As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39 She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40 But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”

41 “Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42 but few things are needed—or indeed only one.[a] Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”  - Luke 10:38 NIV

So, are you a Mary or a Martha?  I may look like Mary during my quiet time, but the remainder of my waking hours?  Definitely Martha!  Often I feel like Martha did - that I need more help.  That's when I need to take a look at what I am spending my time doing, revisit my priorities and sometimes inquire of the Lord, "Are you asking me to do this? Or have I added to your 'to do' list for me?"  As He says above, only one thing is needed - seeking Him!

Are you, like Martha, "worried and upset about many things?"  What undone thing is weighing on your mind right now?  Does it have eternal value? Does it need to be done?  Who benefits more if you do it - someone else or your own pride? 

For me, right now, it's my email...and my floors (they are filthy!) I am behind.  I am often behind on my email and it bugs me.  I wish it didn't, but it does.  But you know what?  I just re-read Proverbs 31 and there is no mention of even she responding to email (or letters) or cleaning her floors.  Yes, she watches over the affairs of her household, but she is wise, so I assume she knows what needs to be done and what doesn't. 

I remember the stress and deadlines of the workplace.  And I know there is much that needs to be done.  But looking back on my career, I can see that I did a lot of extras that didn't need to be done.  While going the extra mile did pay - in the form of  bonuses, raises, promotions, awards and recognition, my family paid a price, too.  My husband and I lost precious alone time hours as I would finish my work at night after our son had gone to sleep.  I can remember times when I was physically with them, but not really present as my mind wandered to how I could generate more business.  Mostly, I remember the times I came unglued because I was trying to do more than what God was asking me to do.

Sweet sister, what can you let go of today, to look more like Mary even as you work?  Let it go.  Sit at the feet of Jesus, and enjoy His peace. 



No comments:

Post a Comment