Saturday, February 9, 2013

Keeping Quiet When I Want to Speak

I am a talker. I love to share and do life with others. I enjoy asking details (even though most times I forget them later...terrible memory!) and finding out what is new with my family and girlfriends. Many times I ask probing questions to find out more because I am curious. With that, I also tend to share when I am in the heat of the moment, those things that are really frustrating me. Many times I have picked up the phone to call a friend in the "moment" only to find that it is their machine that picks up. Afterwards I have been grateful that I didn't speak to them but cooled off for a bit before sharing. I need to learn to be quiet when I want to speak. It is much harder to use self-control and hold my tongue, than to spew out words I will later regret. I need to bring my frustration before the ONE who can change things...the Lord.

Our mouths have the ability to give life and death. 


The tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences. - Proverbs 18:21


We were in Disney the last couple of days and I realized how hard it is to keep quiet when I want to speak. Our son, was really struggling on day 2 and causing the rest of us to be on edge. We were all tired and it had been a long day. In those weak moments I would let out words telling my son just how frustrated I was with him and reminding him of how his younger brother was behaving much better and being the "leader."  Once the kids were asleep that night, I had a meltdown sharing with my husband about my exhaustion with my son's disobedience when the Holy Spirit (using my husband as the "vessel") reminded me of truth. HE nudged my heart towards the importance of being quiet and not sharing my "thoughts" in the moment but allowing my heart to settle down before speaking. Such importance in that, right?


When words are many, sin is not absent, but he who holds his tongue is wise. - Proverbs 10:19

I am pregnant and very emotional these days. I want to be a mom who cools down before speaking. One my kids know will speak words of life and also pray with them over things they struggle with. I love that the Lord highlights those areas of our life that needs work and then allows us room to grow...loving us through it the whole time. I need to practice that more often with my kids. Allowing truth to drip from my lips to encourage them as they struggle. I want to walk alongside them as they strive towards change. 

How are you with your words in the "heat of the moment?" 

Do you use life-changing encouraging words to prod your kids towards a Godly life?

What is ONE thing you can practice this week, that will allow you to pause & reflect to Jesus first - instead of someone else?

Father, thank you for loving me enough to change my heart. Help me to be a reflection of you to my children and the outside world. Give me the self-control to keep quiet when I want to speak and bring my frustrations before you alone first :) Love you! 

1 comment:

  1. Ouch! So convicting, Kate! I need to practice this truth as well. Thank you for sharing and being transparent with us!

    ReplyDelete