Thursday, February 21, 2013

A Time to Remember


I found myself complaining a lot the last few weeks while hanging out in my place of waiting.  In a state of complete disgust with my own sin and ungratefulness I cried out to God, “Help me.  I am so sorry.  Forgive me.”  And A Time to Remember is where He led me.  I read old journal entries, blogs, and all the scriptures that God has used to encourage and bless me over the last year.  And wow, He has done so much in me and for me.  I am so grateful. 
About 13 months ago I found myself thrust into a new and very different season of life.  It was unexpected and most certainly not welcome.  It was the beginning of a season of life where God became so much, much more to me.  I was truly seeing, deeply feeling, and barely comprehending just how much my God loved me.  It is a time I never want to forget but one I wish I didn’t have to remember. 
I don’t think anyone wants to go back to those places of heart wrenching pain and remember but in those places if we look with eyes wide open we will always see God.  We will see His helping hand, His healing touch, His soft whispers of encouragement, and His beauty. 
 
“The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." Deuteronomy 31:8
 
It’s those moments that we want to remember.  Satan in all his craftiness will always try to take us back into the past and remind us of all the yuck.  Whether the yuck is something you have done or something that has been done to you, Satan will do his best to get you to camp there.  But you do not have to.   
 
“The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.”  John 1:5
 
As a child of the Most High God you are full of that Light that has not been overcome by the darkness.  We can look the yuck right in the eye and say, “Thank you for reminding me of all my Jesus has brought me through.  I am blessed to call Him my Lord and my Savior.  I will praise Him all of my days.” 

Oh, Father, help me to always take time to remember all you have done.  May I never forget or get to wrapped up in the here and now.  Give me the strength and ability to look with eyes wide open at the things of my past that may be painful.  Show yourself to me in those moments.  Give me wisdom in sharing what You have done for me and my family with my children so they too can be encouraged in You.  I pray they will pass on to future generations the message and the blessing of just how great You are.

No comments:

Post a Comment