Saturday, February 2, 2013

Gratitude Must Be Taught & Practiced

Be anxious for nothing but in everything 
by prayer and petition with thanksgiving 
make your requests known to God, and 
the peace of God, which surpasses all 
understanding will guard your 
hearts and minds in 
Christ Jesus. 
- Philippians 4:6

This morning I went to my monthly mom's Bible study and was challenged about cultivating a heart of gratitude. Always around Thanksgiving we all verbally state what we are thankful for and even encourage others to as well, BUT what about the rest of the year? 

The speaker shared some really great points...

-Thankfulness is a WEAPON against the things that steal our peace.

-Thanksgiving multiplies JOY.

-Gratitude must be taught and practiced. It is a discipline!

-Every moment can be sacred if you are looking closely and paying attention.

-Instead of keeping a record of wrongs (1 Cor. 13:5), why not keep a record of rights?

- Start a GRATITUDE JOURNAL & have your kids do one too!

Our speaker shared how on her phone, she has a running record (in her "notes" section) of things she is grateful for. Each day she adds more things to it & can go back and read things from previous days. 

LOVE this! My week has been really rough. I want to have an attitude of gratitude instead of asking, "Why me?" The Lord gives me so many blessings each day, but my mind can zero in on those challenging things bringing me down. I loose focus.  

What are some things you can do to cultivate this with your family?

How about having a moment of PRAISE each night @ dinner and allow each family member to praise the Lord for something?

Is gratitude being taught and caught in your home?



No comments:

Post a Comment