Friday, July 6, 2012

One Size doesn't Fit All...


        I was a relatively easy child to raise.  I remember wanting to please my parents.  I hated when I had disappointed them and can only remember a few occasions choosing to blatantly be disobedient.

         However I remember my most horrific school experience with so many emotions. The situation is best recreated through the words of my first grade teacher, Mrs. Gregory.

October 12, 1970
Dear Mrs. Bryant,
Joan was reported for turning a flip in the girls toilet today.  I thought
You’d like to know so that you could reemphasize to her the
Danger involved here.
I have talked to her and I do not think she will ever
Do such a thing again; but I shall appreciate
Your talking with her too.
Thank you,
Mrs. Gregory
(please sign and return. Just so that I can tell that you received this.)
P. S. I did not “keep her in” for this.  I told the class
That her mother would talk to to her instead.

         As mentioned earlier, my personality caused me HUGE remorse for this awful blunder.  As I presented this hand written index card to my mother, I was shocked at her response.  She began to laugh uncontrollably.  As I sobbed and mourned my life already imagining my life behind bars, I couldn’t process my mom’s absolute hysterics over my error.

         Moms, my Mom knows me best.  She knew there was not evil intent in my attempt to do a cartwheel. Yes, I had broken a rule, but it certainly wasn’t worth calling in the squadron on her barely seven year old darling.  

         My mom didn’t return the index card (which obviously I am blessed to still possess.)  Rather she wrote a letter to Mrs. Gregory saying she had received it and had dealt with me appropriately.  She actually sent this little keepsake to her aunt (next week I will give you her response.)

         Moms we need to be a student of each of our children. We need to know what correction best suits the offense.  This means each child may receive a different correction or consequence for the choices they make.  There isn't a single response for every offense.  God wants to reveal how to parent each of our children.  We can call on Him and He will show us how to appropriately correct and encourage our children.

II Samuel 24: 14  “David said to Gad, “ I am in deep distress.  Let us fall into the hands of the Lord, for His mercy is great; but do not let me fall into the hands of men.”


1 comment:

  1. Thanks Joannie! I loved this post! Such a great reminder to study the heart and intent of our children! One size definitely does NOT fit all. Thank you for sharing...I can't wait to read your Mother's response. Teehee! LOL :)

    ReplyDelete