Tuesday, July 10, 2012

THINK Before You Speak (Raising Your Voice in Anger)



I pray you have been enjoying and are being edified by the Tuesday blog series on taming the tongue. This week we focus on raising our voices in anger. At some point or another, we have all raised our voices to get our point across. Depending on your background, we have all been exposed to this in our homes at some level growing up. And we all have our "boiling point" where our patience runs thin and our voices seem to get louder and more firm until we get the results we want. The question is, at what point do we cross that line from speaking with a firm tone to let our kids know we mean business verses shouting to express our wrath, which Scripture tells us does not produce the righteousness of God.

In order to get a better hold on this area, let's first assess those times we are most likely to struggle with this. I know for me it's right around that certain time of the month when those cranky hormones start to run amok... and when my kids get at each other on road trips. How about you? At what times are you most likely to raise your voice in anger with your kids?  How can we be proactive during these times to have control over our tongues and tempers? Here are some more questions to consider and some Scripture to reflect on.

How often do your kids/husband/others hear you raise your voice in anger in a day? a week? a month?
Do you feel that yelling is the only way to get their attention and get things done?
What are some ways you can work on getting your point across with a calm, firm tone rather than shouting?


A gentle answer turns away wrath, But a harsh word stirs up anger.
Proverbs 15:1


A fool vents all his feelings, but a wise man holds them back.
Proverbs 29:11


Be slow to wrath, because the wrath of man does not produce the righteousness of God. 
James 1:19-20

Gracious God,
I ask You to please forgive me for the times I have "lost it" and raised my voice in anger against my family. Please help me to disciple and discipline according to Your Word and with a tone that produces righteousness in me and my family rather than fear and wrath. I humbly ask for Your continued help, forgiveness, and guidance as I work on taming my tongue and honoring You with what comes out of my mouth.  Please help me to recognize the times I am most vulnerable and susceptible to shouting in anger and help me to stop, take a break, take a breath, and pray before speaking. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment