Monday, July 30, 2012

Oh, No She Didn't!



I hate it when people are mad at me. I can’t stand it when people get frustrated with me or feel disappointed by me.  By nature, I want everything to work out well for everybody all the time. My dad used to say I would be the perfect diplomat. BUT, let’s face it. I am not perfect, and I will disappoint people from time to time…even when I am trying my best not to.

Recently I had the unpleasant experience of a close friend “calling me out”. However, I must say that she did it in a very transparent and Biblical way. She didn’t act like she was too good to be affected by anything or anyone…you know the type: The I will never give you the satisfaction of knowing that you even bother me type of person. Well, she is NOT that way. She clearly and sincerely explained how she felt. It didn’t mean that I agreed with everything she said, BUT I totally agreed with HOW she did it. She didn’t go tell another friend how annoyed she was with me or that I had let her down. She came and told me. She put the principles of Matthew 18 into practice.

Matthew 18:15 exhorts us:"If your brother sins against you, go and show him his fault, just between the two of you. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over.”

I must say that while it is uncomfortable to be confronted by someone you care about it, I am thankful for the ability to “clear the air” without getting other people involved. It is a clean, although not easy way to handle conflict.

Moms, we need to be able to trust each other to handle conflict in a way that is pleasing to the Lord. I need to know that if a close friend feels offended, then she will talk to me about it. I need to know that she will not spread gossip or let her own feelings allow her thoughts to think the worst of me. We need to practice this principle in our own lives and teach our children to do the same.

Did I mention that I truly love this friend? I love her heart for the Lord and her desire to live for Him. I love that she is sensitive to her own feelings and the feelings of others. I love that she reads and applies the Scripture to her life. Ladies, let’s be that type of friend. Let’s follow the principles of Matthew 18. Let’s learn how to handle conflict in a way that truly pleases Him. So while my first thought was, “Oh no she didn’t”, I am so blessed that she did!

Heavenly Father,

God, you alone are perfect. While we strive to be more like you, the truth is that we will mess up. We will disappoint our family and/or friends. We will hurt someone’s feelings. Thank you for setting the perfect guideline for conflict resolution in your Word. Lord, may we be hearers and doers of your Word. We love you Lord! In Jesus’ name, Amen.

Wounds from a friend can be trusted, but an enemy multiplies kisses.” Proverbs 27:6

3 comments:

  1. I love this!! I try really hard to be this type of friend. I pray this for my friends AND that I allow my friends to be this to me! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post Teresa! Conflict in relationships is inevitable but it's how we handle it that will either deepen that relationship or pull us apart. You are a friend who speaks the truth in love (Eph. 4:15) and I thank you for always pointing us back to scripture and what HE says about living out this Christian life!
    Plus our little ones are watching how we handle conflict and will replicate it as well. If we have healthy Godly relationships in our life then that will be the natural outflow in our kids friendships as well :) Thank you for your transparency! It is refreshing!

    ReplyDelete