Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Your Child in 6 Words

I recently read a devotional that challenged the readers to write a short bio of themselves in 6 words. The author offered up the following examples of this in Scripture: David, of whom God said: “A man after My own heart” (1 Sam. 13:14; Acts 13:22). Paul’s self-description: “Paul, an apostle of Jesus Christ” (Eph. 1:1). Mary: “The virgin shall be with child” (Matt. 1:23). And about Jesus: “Became flesh and dwelt among us” (John 1:14).

If you had to do this for yourself, what would you say? What would others say? It's no easy task to sum yourself up in this way, but it does cause you to think about whether or not you are spending your time and energy focusing on the important things, to the extent that it is what people see in you most.

How about your kids? I was recently part of a mom's study where we were encouraged to become students of our children. Learn their personalities and how to best parent each child based on their unique character, strengths, weaknesses, etc. Taking a moment to try and sum up our child at this stage in his/her life is a great way to begin to analyze their personality and how the Lord calls us to be the best parent to this child in this season.

For my girls, I would say of Selah, needs encouragement, sensitive, loves to learn. Susannah would be- joyful, strong-willed, loves hugs and snuggling. Though my girls are only 3 and 1, you can see that how I can best disciple, discipline, and encourage them at this stage is very different. Selah needs verbal affirmation while hugs and physical affection are Susannah's love language.

I encourage you to take a moment to do this exercise and by it obtain a better understanding of how God uniquely created your child/children and how you can best serve Him and disciple them in this season. Let's pray!

Father, I thank you so much for Your Word and the glimpse it gives us into Your character as well as the characteristics of those who came before us. I pray that you would reveal to me what impression I am leaving on others and how I can prioritize my life to put the most effort into what is most important in Your eyes. As I take a moment to analyze my child/children, please reveal how You created them uniquely for the purpose You have for their lives. Please show me how to adjust the ways I interact with them to be the most effective parent in discipling my children. Help me to continually grow and adjust in this area in order to best develop their character to fulfill Your will for their lives. Thank you Lord for your promise to give freely to those who seek Your wisdom. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great job, Tammy! Looking forward to doing the six word exercise for my boys. Awesome encouragement for us....thanks girl!!

    ReplyDelete