Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Priorities Part 1- Waking Up with the Lord

During this season of my life, waking up has been the best part of my day.  Here's how it happens in our home.  My one year old son stands up in his crib and calls, "Dada!"  My husband  rescues him from the confines of his crib, changes his diaper and brings him into our bed.  I wake to the most precious little hand on my face, a cheerful, "Ahh!", a smile that lights up my world or, the best, a big, open mouthed kiss.  Hunter is our first child, so this indescribable joy still feels new to me, and I pray that it never gets old. 

Recently; however, the Lord put it on my heart to wake up with Him.  You see, I would set aside Hunter's first nap for my quiet time.  This seemed like a good idea, but often I would clean up the kitchen, throw in a load of laundry, put a few things away -  all "on my way" out to the patio for quiet time.   Then my husband might call, and, before I knew it, Hunter was up!  My time with Him was often cut short.  I resisted His call at first, because I so loved my mornings.  I wanted to enjoy my little man waking me up for as long as I could.  I worried, what would he think when Daddy went to get him and I wasn't in our bed?  Instead, they would find me on the patio, giving the first part of my day to our Lord.  While this might not be the sweet, snuggly morning we had grown to love, it's a witness to my husband and son that our Lord comes first.  After all, He is our first love. (Rev  2:4)



Matthew 6:33 New King James Version (NKJV)
33 But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.

How do you put God first in your life?  Do you spend your first hour with him?  Or, when planning your day, do you first allocate time to sit at his feet and hear from him? 

Malachi 3:10
Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, That there may be food in My house, And try Me now in this,” Says the LORD of hosts, “If I will not open for you the windows of heaven And pour out for you such blessing That there will not be room enough to receive it.
Malachi 3:9-11


I believe that just as He blesses us financially for giving first to Him, so he seemingly adds hours to our days when we honor Him with the first of our time. 

I have always struggled with taking on too much and feeling overwhelmed.  I tend to run full speed ahead and accomplish much, but eventually I hit the wall hard.  When this happens, I do not represent Christ well in my home.  Our Lord has gently reminded me, "I didn't ask you to do all that" or "Do less, but do this."  As I transition from the workplace to my new career working in our home, He has reminded me of my priorities.  I remember fellow blogger, Maggie, sharing with me that someone dear to her asks for God's help in planning each day.   And so, I take my to do list to him each morning.  I ask him to align my priorities with his and I pray that his will for my day will be done.  That he will use me for his kingdom work first, help me accomplish that which needs to be done today and leave undone that which can wait. 

If you're feeling overwhelmed today, beloved, take your to do list to him.  He will arrange it for you, according to his perfect plan for your day.

How can we apply this same truth for our children?  I was blessed to receive two gifts shortly after Hunter was born, from fellow blogger, Fran.  A Praise Baby DVD and a Baby Bible for Boys.  Beginning in his first few weeks of life and immediately following his breakfast, Hunter either watches his Praise Baby DVD (We now have 3 of them) or we read from his Baby Bible for Boys.  It's never too soon to model our God given priorities for our little ones and provide the tools for them to do the same. 

This is the first in a series of blogs that will focus on God's priorities for our lives, one at a time.  You will see blogs on this topic the first Wednesday of every month.  Here's a sneak preview of what's to come:  1) God 2) Husband 3) Children/Immediate Family 4) Service 5) Work/Home 6) Friends 7) Rest/Refreshment.  It helps me to assess my daily activities against this quick list when I'm feeling overwhelmed.  I hope it helps you, too, my friend. 

And, so, Christian, Wife, Mother, Daughter, Servant, Worker, Friend and more, let's take a moment to pray together and seek our Heavenly Father's will for today.

Dear Heavenly Father, we thank you for giving us your word to guide us and your son's perfect example to follow.  We thank you for every hour of every day that you've given us.  May we glorify you and do all things as onto you, Lord.  Help us to seek you first each day and to encourage our children to do the same so that you would help us plan the rest of our day.  Lord, you know what I would like to accomplish today.  Help me to arrange my to do list so that it aligns with your will for my day.  May your will be done before mine.  Help me accomplish that which needs to be done and let go of that which does not.  In Jesus' name, I pray.  Amen. 






1 comment:

  1. Amen! A much needed encouragement:) Thank you.

    ReplyDelete