Tuesday, August 7, 2012

A Working Mommy



This term "working Mommy" is a puzzler, while it is meant to refer to those who work outside the home, it also very much refers to those who are blessed to stay at home full-time, as I have been these last 3 years. We certainly do work very hard to lay the foundation of a loving home and raise kids with Christ-like character. 

Well, I am transitioning in this season of my life from being at home full-time to returning to the work force, specifically the classroom. This decision came with mixed emotions, of course. I was excited to return to my passion and calling of teaching, while the thought of being away from my girls 8 hours every day was heartbreaking. I am blessed, however, to teach at a wonderful Christian school that has an amazing Pre-K program for my oldest and on-site childcare for my 18 month old. Then, of course, there is the baby.... A week after being hired, we found out we are expecting another gift of life! A surprise, to be sure, but one we welcome and are very excited about.

The fact is, I have alot of work ahead of me, but don't we all? We are all working mommies balancing our time among the many jobs we are called to do. I have heard our lives likened to a circus performer spinning several plates balanced on sticks, trying to keep them all spinning without dropping. Some of them are fine china, others are everyday plates, and then there are the paper plates. The fine china is the important things like our faith, kids, and spouse. The everyday plates are our jobs, homes, and those other very important parts of or daily lives. While the paper plates are those less important aspects of our lives that we can afford to drop without fear of breaking, though we never want to "drop" anything.

It's all about priorities and balancing your time and attention. In this season of your life, how would you categorize your priorities in this analogy? Have you put something in your fine china category that should be lower on your priority list or vice versa? This week let's take a look at our priorities and daily schedules and challenge ourselves to refocus how we spend our time and attention and adjust our schedules accordingly.

I have been blessed to serve as a weekly part of this blog, and though I will still be a guest blogger from time to time, I will no longer be the regular Tuesday blogger. I pray you will continue to be blessed, encouraged, and challenged through the daily posts and in your many adventures as mommy.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the new pregnancy, Tammy! I will be praying for you as you enter this new season of working outside the home. Btw, I have sincerely enjoyed your posts! You will be missed!

    ReplyDelete