Friday, August 10, 2012

Help!


Luke 18: 40 – 42
Jesus stopped and ordered the man to be brought to him. When he came near, Jesus asked him, “What do you want me to do for you?”
“Lord, I want to see,” he replied.
Jesus said to him, “Receive your sight; your faith has healed you.” Immediately he received his sight and followed Jesus, praising God. When all the people saw it, they also praised God.
Pinterest image

A couple of weeks ago, on one of our super hot Florida days, I noticed a lady as I was coming in from my mom van.  An apparent runner was leaning against a neighbor’s tree and seemed exhausted. 
Thinking I could help, I grabbed a bottle of Gatorade and took it to her at the end of the driveway.  As I offered her the bottle she replied she was fine.  I told her I knew it was exceptionally hot and I had seen her leaning on the tree as if very hot.  She again refused my help, thanked me and walked on.
I was struck with the obvious.  She was hot and in need, yet she refused help. Could this be why Jesus asked the obvious question, “What do you want me to do for you?” Rather than offering sight to the blind man, maybe Jesus knew he needed to ask for help first.
Moms, it is so easy to be drowning in our everyday lives, our own pride, our own shame, our own fear, so we don’t ask for help.  No, our husbands or families or friends, can’t take all our problems and make them right, but they can help you shoulder the burden.
One of my Mommy friends texted me yesterday, with a simple plea for help, “I’m going to need a little extra prayer today.”  I was honored to pray for her and the circumstances of her life.  I was also very proud she was willing to ask for help.
It has been an on-going lesson to teach our children to ask for help, but I think it is a lesson we need to continue to remember too! Let’s not be too proud to ask for help.  Jesus is asking us, “What do you want me to do for you today?”


2 comments:

  1. Amen, Joannie! What a powerful illustration of why Jesus asked the man such an obvious question. Great blog! We all need to be humble enough to ask for help!

    ReplyDelete