Saturday, August 18, 2012

Set a GUARD over my MOUTH


With every problem that arises in life there are two parts: the issue and the solution. Parenting is no different. Over the past couple of weeks parenting has been extremely difficult for me. I have sensed some, spiritual warfare, but I know there is some fruit, within this season of trials, that the Lord wants me to savor as well.



My parenting issue this week has been the mouth of my older son. Disrespect. Not honoring me. Flippantly saying things and without any punishment. Even as I write this out, I recognize the solution. I have allowed the seed of disrespect to take root in my son's heart. Because there was no consequence immediately following his disrespect, he thought it was ok. In the days that followed, this sin would grow big enough that even his little brother was influenced and doing it as well.

I have realized my children's issues could be handled better if I would follow through and be consistant. Many times their sin can be overlooked, because of the busyness of the moment or crazy going on,  and before you know it, their sin is full grown, enormous, overbearing, and out of control.

As I searched God's word for encouragement for my son, God taught me what HIS word says about my mouth. Isn't that so like our sovereign God? We seek scripture, for those who sinned against us, and the Lord shows us through that process the ugliness that needs to be removed in our own heart before we can confront them.

Side note: 
This issue with my oldest son has shined a light on my own mouth and how I handle conflict with my children. I struggle, in times of frustration, with holding my tongue. More times than not I have apologized to my oldest son for things I have said in times of struggle with him. So thankful the Lord sees my flaws, as a mom, and allows my children to be the mirror, held up, reminding me of those areas where Christ wants to grow me :)

So here is what the Lord spoke to me:


A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. - Proverbs 15:1

If anyone thinks he is religious and does not bridle his tongue but deceives his heart, this person's religion is worthless. - James 1:26


Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruits. - Proverbs 18:21


this one is my favorite....

Set a guard, O Lord, over my mouth; keep watch over the door of my lips! - Psalm 141:3

Praying for strength for each person reading this.  
Praying for refreshment for the weary mom who has lost hope.
Praying for the mom who wants to use her mouth for His glory but feels like a failure.
Praying for the girl who feels like there is no "fruit" but seeds are planted & a harvest is coming.
Praying for the friend who knows she needs prayer for this but is afraid to ask.

Share. Ask for prayer. Allow others to hear your struggles as a mom. Transparency leads to ministry. 
Christ loves you. HE sees your struggles. HE wants you to come and ask for help. HE created you. HE created your kids who test you. HE has answers. HE wants to share them with you. 

HIS hope is that in times of frustration we would go to a quiet place, pray and get self-control. HIS desire is that we be an example to our children in word and deed. Having the restraint to hold our tongue when we want to scream out of exhaustion. When buttons are pushed,  we would read aloud the Word of God allowing His Spirit to permeate our heart & home.  That praise and worship would be turned up and danced to when satan wants to discourage us. That we would ask a friend to hold us accountable to restrain our tongue in times of crazy. 

Lord we thank you for conviction. We thank you for your Word. Challenge us in those areas that need change. Help us to ask for forgiveness from our children. Do a work in us today. -Amen



1 comment:

  1. Could your heart be any more pure? Oh God has something amazing planned for you and your family! Satan will do whatever he can to discourage and trip you up. How blessed we are to see our own sin as we correct our babes! We serve an amazingly patient God! HE is slow to anger and His forgiveness has no limits. Love you my friend! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete