Thursday, August 9, 2012

A Teachable Spirit


“But Jesus said, “Let the little children come to Me, and do not forbid them; for of such is the kingdom of heaven.”  Matthew 19:14
 

“Assuredly, I say to you, unless you are converted and become as little children, you will by no means enter the kingdom of heaven.  Therefore whoever humbles himself as this little child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. Whoever receives one little child like this in My name receives Me.”  Matthew 18:3-4
 

“At that time Jesus answered and said, “I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and have revealed them to babes.  Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.”  Matthew 11:25-26


There is something HUGE to be learned from our children…How to have a teachable spirit.  Here is my own observation on what generally makes children have a teachable spirit. 


They look at the great big world around them as an adventure.  There are things everywhere to be discovered.  They very quickly realize there is so much that they do not know.  The desire in them to know creates a big sponge and bit-by-bit they start soaking up everything they can.  They are memorizing everything they hear and are repeating it whether we want them to or not. 


What I have observed in my own children is that what seemed like a great big world to them when they were little was really not that big.  Something happens in them when they start to learn all those things that they couldn’t wait to learn.  Now they can read a little they can write a little.  They can add up marshmallows and cheerios.  They can tell you what time it is.  Life is good and they think they have the hang of it. 


They get all puffed up and think they have learned all they need to take on that great big world, which in reality is very small.  I have noticed in my four kids that it was not a certain age that this happened but it is definitely a certain attitude…Pride. 
 

This is where some of us get stuck, isn’t it?  In our pride we loose that simplicity of mind that God chooses to reveal things to.  We are no longer humble or teachable we are prideful.  That pride may not be recognizable externally by screaming, “Look I am PRIDEFUL.”  Most of the time I think it is that quiet internal emotion that gives a sense of superiority. 


We need to get back to simplified thinking.  Thinking where we are humble, looking to God with great big eyes ready for Him to show us the world His way. 






4 comments:

  1. SO true my friend! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this, Courtney! It really puts our own pride into perspective--like our children, there is still SO much to be learned if we can only grasp how little we know! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Courtney! So very true! I have witnessed this same wonder and awe but also this "I think I know it all" attitude with my oldest. If I'm honest, I can be like that at times too. I really needed to hear this today! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Courtney! I am reading this a more than a month later, but loving it all the same.

    ReplyDelete