Sunday, August 19, 2012

"I Get Knocked Down, But I Get Up Again"





As I was driving the other day I heard this old school song and the chorus "I get knocked down, and I get up again" made me think of how I sometimes feel as a mom.  Occasionally, when I am having a challenging week, I will think of my failures with my children and wonder the damage I have done to my little ones.  I wonder how bruised their souls might be or what effects they will suffer in the future because of the mistakes I have made with them.  I know they mirror me, I know they now look to me as their impression of Christ, and I know they are learning and observing like sponges all they see daily and yet I still fail...

Although I may feel these things at times I quickly remind myself I am human.  Even though I sometimes fail as being the most patient or put together or loving mommy, I am the mommy the Lord has given to my children.  He knew what my children would need and what I am capable of.  According to the scriptures the Lord knew each of us before we were even a thought and He choose me specifically to raise them.  (Jeremiah 1:5 Before I formed you in the womb, I knew you).  He also knows my intentions are to love them, teach them, and train them to love and honor Him, and that is simply all I can do. 

I recently decided I would re-read a great book by Catherine Hickem called “Raising Your Children with No Regrets,” here is a little taste of it.  
“A mother’s purpose is to give all of herself to uniquely impart values, faith, beliefs, and love into the children with whom she’s been entrusted.  Mothering with purpose is to recognize that your very existence defines love, gives life, protects innocence, believes in the impossible, and views life’s struggle as opportunities to enrich your children’s lives.”

So, when you feel knocked down what do you typically do?  Do you make sure you get back up again or do you dwell in the feelings of despair.   I would encourage you to remember the next time a situation arises, you are not alone, make what was wrong right by an apology if appropriate, pray with your little one, and start fresh.  Persevere through this time of parenting and fight this good fight, don’t let it get you down!

Heavenly father, we love you.  We thank you for the little ones you have entrusted to us. Please Lord search us and show us ways we can love and care for our children in ways that are pleasing to you. Equip us with wisdom from the heavens to build up this next generation.  Help us also to remember that even though we will fail at times you still love us. You remember our sins no more.  (Psalm 103:12 As far as the east is from the west, so far has He removed our transgressions from us.)  Again, thank you Lord, for allowing us to be moms...
Amen


2 comments:

  1. Amen Fran!! Thanks for the encouragement :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great blog, Fran! One of my favorite encouragements from you that I often refer back to is "I might fail you, but my savior never will." You have the gift of encouragement and I know your little ones' souls are blessed by that.

    ReplyDelete