Sunday, August 12, 2012

What's their secret?

I was so blessed to spend time with one of my favorite families last week. You see, this is a BIG family! Parents with four children. But there was still so much love to go around that they adopted two precious sisters from 4Kids of South Florida. So now they're at six kids. Ages ranging from three to twenty. With that many people living under one roof, I have never heard a word of disrespect or arguing like normal brothers and sisters. What were these parents feeding their children? What was their secret? Well I was going to get to the bottom of this one!

When I arrived I found one daughter folding laundry at the dining room table. Then another daughter
jumped up to do the dishes from the meal she had just made the family. Another daughter was making a green bean stew to enter into the Green Bean Festival the next day. Don't think that the Mom was there giving them directions on their duties, because she wasn't even home. She was out food shopping. I enjoyed listening to their conversations. Made me think of "Pride & Prejudice" or "The Walton's", how many hands make light work. Love was definitely in the air.

I wonder if something was in the water? When one of the little girls needed something, they jumped right up to meet it, like young mothers themselves. Never passing the job on to someone else. First time obedience? Forget about it! You didn't even have to tell them what to do. They know their roles
as siblings, and the responsibility that comes with it. If I saw them occasionally, I'd say they could pull off this type of behavior. But I see them every week and the consistency of it is no role playing.

I walked into the living room, and sure enough, there lay the evidence. Right in the open. Bibles everywhere! And journals to accompany them.  If I didn't see fruit from their lives, I'd think, nice props to display for visitors, but their walk tells me those Bibles are not collecting any dust. Those Bibles are their diets.

Uh Huh! It was BOTH the food and the water!

Matt. 5:6
Blessed are those who Hunger  and Thirst for righteousness, For they shall be filled.

Deut. 8:3
So He humbled you, allowed you to hunger, and fed you with manna which you did not know nor did your fathers know, that He might make you know that man shall not live by bread alone; but man lives by every word that proceeds from the mouth of the Lord.

Psalm 34:8
Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good; Blessed is the man who trusts in Him!

Matt. 7:20
Therefore by their fruits you will know them.

I wrote about this family that they might be an inspiration to everyone. Yet another confirmation that God's Word empowers parents. This isn't a reality for some yet . . . But remember . . . Isaiah 55:11
So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth; It shall not return to Me void, But it shall accomplish what I please, And it shall prosper in the thing for which I sent it.

So Moms, I challenge you to keep those plates and cups full, and even encourage seconds.
Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment