Thursday, August 30, 2012

Let Go


When my oldest daughter, Alexis, was five I had yet to let her try out a pair of scissors that were not child safety scissors.  My cousin, who has three children and at the time the youngest was six, informed me that I was being a bit overprotective.  So with great fear and apprehension I let her use big girl scissors.  Now she is ten and I am freaking out about letting her ride her bike down to the neighbors, ten houses down the street and what other little girls I should let her play with in the neighborhood.  Our children are so precious, young, and vulnerable that at times we can forget that we are not the only one looking out for them.  God is there too. 

I have to remind myself that God gave me these beautiful little creations to care for and love.  He knit them together in my womb; all their days were written in His book before one of them even came to be (Psalm 139).  He loves them more deeply than I do and His character proves that He has nothing but good intentions for them.  When I can see that, I don’t have to hold on so tightly I can trust in their Creator, my Creator. 

I started writing about how we hold so tightly to our kids because this is a blog for moms but we hold tightly to many things not just our kids.  We hold tightly to our plans, our dreams, our expectations and much, much more.   James 1:17 tells us “every good and perfect gift is from above.”   Often I think that I gave me those things, I have to hold onto them, I earned them, worked hard for them, love them, live for them.  But I tell you what ladies there is a freedom, an amazing freedom, in just letting go and trusting in the One who holds you in His hands.   

 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks fur the reminder! My daughter will be 15 soon, and I'm still struggling with letting go in some areas. God bless!!

    ReplyDelete