Tuesday, July 17, 2012

THINK Before You Speak (Complaining)




We are all guilty of this in one way or another. We don't get enough help around the house from our spouse or children. The lines are too long at the grocery store, and they only have 3 registers open. You just finished folding the laundry, and your little one wets her sheets, or in my case, the cats run across the bed knocking over all of the neatly folded and organized piles. Those "are you kidding me?" moments where we cannot help but grumble under our breath or sometimes a little louder.

We know we hear it from our kids on an almost daily basis. "His piece is bigger than mine." "I don't want to take a bath!" "Yuck, I don't like carrots!" The fact is, there are many reasons to complain and many things to complain about. I know when my kids get into one of their complaining fits, it can really irritate me. I can only imagine what my complaining sounds like to God. Thankfully, He abounds in patience and grace.

The challenge in Philippians to do all things without grumbling or complaining is a tough one. Frustration is a natural reaction. The supernatural reaction comes when we choose not to voice those frustrations and just roll with it, realizing our words not only displease God but also do very little to make the situation any better. Here are some questions and Scripture references to consider this week.


What situations/areas are you most likely to complain about?
Would others describe you as a complainer?
Would you describe yourself this way?
How can you work with your kids to do less grumbling and complaining?
What are some ways you can gain self-control in this area and rather than complain, take action to change a situation for the better (or not say anything at all)?

Offer hospitality to one another without grumbling.
1 Peter 4:9 

Do everything without grumbling or arguing,  so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.”
Philippians 2:14-15 

Father, this day I come to you in prayer asking for Your help to do all things without grumbling or complaining. Please help me to have a positive and peaceful attitude when things don't go as I hoped or planned and not give voice to my frustrations. In this way may I set an example to my children and be pleasing to You in my words. Please help me to correct my children when they complain and help them find a better way to express their needs and frustration without grumbling. Thank You for Your patience with me as I work to draw closer to You and learn to become more like You. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Great post Tammy! It's so easy to fall prey to grumbling & complaining when things don't go our way!

    There is a CD by Steve Green called, "Hide 'Em in Your Heart" and my kids LOVE it! It puts scripture to music for kids.

    "Do everything without complaining" is on there and I have reminded them (and even sang the tune to them) of that truth plenty of times as I hear them starting to grumble. I play it in my car when we are driving. Good for memorization for both me and the kids too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post... definitely hit home for me! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete