Sunday, July 29, 2012

"Vapor" Part 1 - by Lena



Vapor- visible exhalation, as fog, mist, steam, smoke, or noxious gas, diffused through or suspended in the air. In James 4:14 we read whereas you do not know what will happen tomorrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapor that appears for a little time and then vanishes away. As we can see, the word vapor means here for a moment, and then gone the next. I have had many of these Moments. Lately, I have been thinking a lot about moments and the word vapor and life.

It started a few weeks ago when my oldest son, Brayden (5), took an interest in cooking. You see, Daddy and Brayden will sometimes watch cooking shows on TV, but nothing like Top Chef or Iron Chef, but more like on the Create channel. I never thought he really was paying attention to it much. However, almost suddenly, over the last few weeks, Brayden has really become engaged in my kitchen routines.


It started one morning when he asked to make his own breakfast. It started as something as simple as putting frozen pancakes in the microwave. I taught him how to punch in 35 seconds and wait patiently for the “beep”.  Afterwards, I assist with taking the pancakes out of the microwave and then I put the syrup on them. I have also taught him how to use the toaster to make strudels and Pop Tarts. Again, I remove them from the toaster; however, he knows how to push the button and wait patiently. After a few days of breakfast, Brayden eagerly moved to other meals, and began assisting me with lunch and dinner. Before I knew it, I had a little chef in the kitchen.





At times I would find myself growing frustrated with the fact that it was an interference with “MY” time in the kitchen and the fact that what would normally take 20-25 minutes to prepare, was now taking 35-45 minutes because  I was teaching him how to do this and that. And then, it hit me like a ton of potatoes! This was a vapor moment. Who knows how many more days I would have to teach my sweet son how to cook? Who knows how long he would have this hunger or desire to want to learn? Tomorrow may never come. 


A few days later I received heart-breaking news from a dear friend of mine. Her husband was diagnosed with Leukemia. They have a 2 year old son. Her husband has just begun his chemo treatments and a 5-6 month journey. In hearing this, I am even more reminded, life is but a vapor. How am I spending my moments? Am I seizing each day? I want to live each day as if it’s my last and make an impact on those I come into contact with; my children, the cashier at Wal-Mart, my children’s Pediatrician, the waitress, etc. How am I spending my vapor moments especially the ones with my husband and my children? As the famous song goes we should, “ Live like we’re dying” by Kris Allen.






Prayer: Lord, no matter how tired I am, what I am going through, where I am in my life, help me remember that life is but a vapor. Help me to live in the moments you give me. Help me to see the divine appointments and opportunities you place in front of me to minister and reach out to others. Thank you Lord for each day I have to spend with my loved ones.
Lena

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting! A friend and I were just taking about this. I am going to forward this so that she may be blessed by it as I have been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Valencia. I have been so touched and convicted lately by this. I am so glad this ministered and blessed you :) Praying for you today that you will see your opportunities ;)

    ReplyDelete