Friday, July 13, 2012

God in His Mercy...


And now…the rest of the story…

            Last Friday, I shared the story of my misbehavior in first grade.  It culminated with a letter from my teacher to my parents.  My mother found the index card outrageously humorous and shared it with her closest relative, her aunt. Following is my great aunts written response to my naughtiness.

Dear Carol,
I always knew that Joan would come to a bad end.
I am mortified to be related to someone that would turn a flip in a toilet!!
We all got together in a family conference and decided we’d pretend we never knew her. 
That was the funniest note I ever saw.  Vickie (her daughter)
Brought it in to me and we laughed until we cried.
Vickie said she (Joan) must have gotten a running start down the block and came tearing in
Knocking down doors and flipping about a 100 times.
I said it was a good thing she didn’t have taps on her shoes
She would have made noise during her flip and would have had to be sent to prison,
Or if she had a hole in her pants; to the moral squad.
Please tell Mrs. Gregory that you’ve written the relatives and we’re all properly shocked.
(at her sending the note.)

            Obviously, I am blessed with a family with a great sense of humor.  


            Last weeks post reflected how important it is as parents to be a student of our children.  To recognize each child will require a different manner of discipline and instruction.  The obvious lesson today is God’s mercy.  He knew exactly what I needed from my parents and our extended family.

            My family didn’t come to personal relationships with God until I was in my tweenage years. God in His mercy, knew what it would take to conform me to His image.  He knew I would struggle with taking life too seriously, He knew I would be a stickler for rules and my own self-righteousness. 

Google Images
            God’s mercy gave me, my family of origin...to help me laugh.  He knew the Bryants would teach me to be compassionate. He knew they would force me to learn to pray for their salvation.  He knew that it would take their personalities to help me to love people in the world.  

            My misbehavior in Mrs. Gregory’s first grade class wasn’t as much about punishment, correction or disobedience as it was about the years since then.  I have learned to be grateful for the incredible family God has given me. 

            Moms, let me encourage you to be less focused on the small snapshot of today, and imagine what the mural of our lives and our children will be.   God in His Mercy knew we would be the perfect parents for the children He chose for our homes.  He is merciful! Let’s revel in that!

"I'm in a desperate situation!" David replied to Gad. "But let me fall into the hands of the LORD, for his mercy is very great. Do not let me fall into human hands."  (NLT)                 I Chronicles 21: 13

No comments:

Post a Comment