Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Who's in Control Anyways?

"For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways,"
declares the Lord.
Isaiah 55:8

In A.W. Tozer's book "The Knowledge of the Holy" he states "What comes into our minds when we think about God is the most important thing about us." It was the first sentence of Chapter One and it stopped me in my tracks. What came into my mind as I pondered that profound statement was God is sovereign. The next question to myself was "why is this the most important thing about me?" 

In order to find the answer to my question, I needed to look back. As I looked back on my life, I recognized that I grew up in an unstable environment physically and emotionally.  My parents did not have a happy marriage and divorced when I was 12. My mother needed to go to work full time to care for my siblings and I. Meanwhile my father was in and out of the picture.  It was then that I started working hard to be successful in order to cover up the fact that on the inside I felt the opposite and was in fact emotionally wounded and insecure. Because I worked hard to created a confident veneer, no one would describe me as such; but I knew the truth.  I went to church regularly but did not walk with the Lord on a daily basis.  Therefore, my main goal was to gain a feeling of worth, security and control in school, church, and with peers.  As a side note: This is in no way meant to be derogatory, hurtful, or dishonoring towards my parents, I know they loved me and did their best within their life circumstances. I am grateful for them.  They took me to church where I accepted Jesus as my savior at the age of 4 during Summer Vacation Bible School. I highlight them only to help bring understanding regarding my tendency to try to control and create stability in my life. Since I became a committed Christian in 1993, the Lord has been so faithful (and sovereign I might add) to teach me life lessons through circumstances to show me He is in fact the one in control of my life. This is why as I ponder God, his sovereignty is pivotal for me. It has fulfilled my vain pursuit of control and stability apart from Him. The lessons have not always been easily learned, but worth it because today I am able to confidently declare by His spirit within me; "God is sovereign"!

It is crucial in our walk of faith to think rightly about God. In my Bible there is a section called "Living Insight".  The author of this section is Charles R. Swindoll. He states, "What we think about God shapes our moral and ethical standards.  What we think about God motivates our response toward fortune, fame, power and pleasure.  What we think about God directly affects our response to pain and pleasure". Believing God is sovereign, is the beginning of deep trust and complete reliance on His will for our lives. Life is not random! We need to build our house upon the the Rock.  God is the Rock. Jesus says it this way in Luke 6:46-49; "Why do you call me, 'Lord, Lord,' and do not do what I say? I will show you what he is like who comes to me and hears my words and puts them into practice.  He is like a man building a house who dug down deep and laid the foundation on rock.  When a flood came, the torrent struck that house but could not shake it because it was well built." God's sovereignty is the foundation of my faith.  I have purposed to use every opportunity in our family life to ensure my son Samuel and daughter Bailee understand this about God.  This attribute of God is so important to instill in our children.  From the moment of his or her first disappointment to the entrance into Middle School on into High School and beyond. 

"See to it, brothers, that none of you has a sinful, unbelieving heart and turns away from the living God.  But encourage one another daily, as long as it is called Today, so that none of you may be hardened by sin's deceitfulness" Hebrews 3:12-13

Difficult circumstances, unmet expectations and disappointments hurt.  If not handled with the truths of God, often times those circumstances and hurts cause us to sin. Often times we allow our emotions to dictate our actions causing us further hurt and/or the hurt of others. As a mom, how you teach your son or daughter to handle these hurts is critical to how they think about God.  This is why I reference Hebrews 3:12-13 above. The word sovereign or sovereignty can be tricky to define.  I define it this way; "God's will, God's way, God's best". I have been blessed to experience this first hand with my children. An example was this past Spring, my son was going out for the school baseball team.  He was pretty sure he would make the team but not sure what squad he would make; Junior Varsity or Varsity.  For many players and their parents this is quite an important matter.  Samuel and I were having a conversation about this after the week of try-outs was over.  I asked him where he thought he would land.  He simply answered me by saying that it didn't matter where he landed and that God would put him where He wanted him. Keeping this right thinking is a daily practice. When you view life through this lens, the wounds caused by disappointment will still come but the "sting" will not last long.  There is freedom in God's will. He is love, one glance at the cross proves that.  Therefore, teach your children, teach yourself, to believe all of life's circumstances, are designed by God for his glory and our good! 

I pray for you today as you read the above words that only God's spirit remains on your minds and in your hearts!  May you believe today deeper than yesterday that God is sovereign and may you walk in the freedom of that truth and teach your children to do the same!
In Jesus precious name I write and pray.
 
Enjoy your day...after all it's the best day of your life cause it's the one you have!!

Recommended reading: 
"The Knowledge of the Holy" by A.W. Tozer 
 The Old Testament chronologically
 Proverbs 3:5-7
 Romans 8:28










 

2 comments:

  1. Great job Amy! Such wisdom! HE is sovereign and so often our minds wander and forget that! Thank you for your sweet reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Amy! Such great truth! God is sovereign, and we should rest in that! :)

    ReplyDelete