Tuesday, July 3, 2012

THINK Before You Speak (Profanity)



If you are keeping up with the Tuesday blog posts, you know we have been on a journey to discover our individual struggles when it comes to what we say and how we say it.We have looked at the concept of THINK before you speak and applied it to how we speak to and about our spouses as well as how it relates to gossip. This week, the topic is profanity.

Many Christians by nature have just eliminated certain words from their vocabulary. And we all have our own definitions of what we consider "bad" words. Knowing our kids listen to and repeat everything they hear at home, we have to be especially careful that words we aren't offended by don't get repeated and offend others. For example, my husband and I never considered 'crap' to be a bad word. Not that it was said alot, we just were not offended by it. But, we realized that others are, and so that was that.

For some, profane words were simply replaced with other less offensive words in the same expression as in "What the frick", "Gosh darn it", or "Holy shih tsu". Is this still considered swearing? What about taking it one step lighter as in "What the junk" or "Holy cow"? What constitutes profanity, what is said or the way in which you say it, essentially the heart behind it? Here's one, when you are extremely angry or stub your toe, what comes out of your mouth? And why do we feel the urge to cry out some expletive or other expression at those moments?

When I taught elementary school, a parent once shared what she did when one of her children said a bad word. She would have them write it on toilet paper and flush it down the toilet, because "bad words are potty talk and that's where they belong", she explained. That is a very creative visual lesson.

Here are some more questions to consider and Scripture references on the subject. 

What is considered a "bad word" in your house?
Are you comfortable with your kids repeating any and all words/expressions you use?
Are there words that Mommy and/or Daddy say that you instruct your kids not to repeat?
How do you handle profanity from adults and/or children in your home?
Is a word in and of itself profane, or is it the way you say it?

Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.  Ephesians 4:29 

But now you must put them all away: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and obscene talk from your mouth. Colossians 3:8 

Lord,
I come to you this day asking for forgiveness for any unwholesome word I have spoken. Please help me define profanity according to Your standards and set an example in speech to my children and other adults in my home and those who come in contact with my family. Please help me to put away obscene talk from my mouth and show the utmost self-control in those moments I am most tempted. As with all areas of struggle, may my failures be lessons and may the conviction felt in my spirit be strong enough to inspire change in my character. May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing to You, Lord. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks tammy, I struggle with some of those less offensive words too that I definitely need to take a better look at...

    ReplyDelete