Thursday, July 26, 2012

Family of God

I am leaving this morning a most blessed place.  I am sad to leave my friends who feel more like family.  The kids and I have spent two weeks being loved by some of the most wonderful people I know.
 

It is something so special when you can be somewhere you are so absolutely comfortable.  It says something about the family of God that I think we sometimes forget…they are family!  I sit here typing through tear-blurred eyes thinking of the love and blessings that have been poured out on me.  These last 6 months have been the hardest of all my life and God has put the most wonderful people right here to walk with me through mess because He loves me.  He pours out His love through His children and it is so sweet and beautiful. 


Do you ever wonder, “How do I teach my children to love like God wants them to?”  Oh, beautiful friend, LIVE IT right in front of them.  Yes, teach them scripture, memorize massive amounts of scripture, store it up, live it, breathe it, and meditate on it with them.  But, “Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves.  DO WHAT IT SAYS.  (James 1:22)


“Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth.”  (1 John 3:18)


I have absolutely no doubt that my kids and the kids of these other families are witnessing first hand what God means when He says “LOVE.”  This “Family of God” is not just people we see at church or meet with once a week in small group.  They are the people we do life with; the people we have fun and laugh with, cry with, and do gut wrenching sadness with.  God comes alive in a family like that.  He doesn’t just come as a gentle breeze that you can barely feel.  He comes like the unmistakable presence of a Mighty King, delighted in His children. 




1 comment:

  1. Courtney, thank you for sharing this. WOW. So so true. Sometimes we think, how can I teach my children this Biblical Principle or that one? God says, "Live it." I know that as we walk it out, they will too. Praying for you my sweet friend. xoxo

    ReplyDelete