Wednesday, October 31, 2012

TRAIN ME UP

"Likewise, teach the older women to be reverent in the way they live, not to be slanderers or addicted to much wine, but to teach what is good. Then they can train the younger women to love their husbands and children, to be self-controlled and pure, to be busy at home, to be kind, 
and to be subject to their husbands, so that 
no one will malign the word
 of God." - Titus 2:3-5


This is such a beautiful passage of scripture that gives great comfort. Every mom has a hunger for encouragement and training from the mothers who have gone before. The "older women" (Titus 2:3) hold tons of wisdom from past experiences stored up. Most parenting lessons are hard and it is less stressful when we are able share it with a mentor who has been there.

I remember having a mentor when I had my second son. She was so encouraging and looked for ways to uplift me with Truth as I questioned how I was parenting. In my exhaustion of trying to balance two children, the Lord used her to comfort me. I listened intently to what she had to share as her kids were older than mine. My prayer is that one day I can pass that comfort on to another mom in need and live out this verse...

Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves receive from God. - 2 Corinthians 1:3-4

Do you have a mentor to go to for wisdom and counsel? 

If not, pray and ask Jesus to provide one for you.

1 comment:

  1. AMEN to 2 Corinthians 1:3-4! To those of us with older children not only do we NEED a mentor but pray about being one. Thanks Kate!!

    ReplyDelete