Thursday, October 25, 2012

Double-Minded

“It is unfortunate but true that most American Christians really don’t have a true appreciation for the price that was paid for their salvation.  In our selfishness, we often delude ourselves into thinking that we can have Christianity and the old, carnal lifestyle at the same time.”  (Steve Gallagher, The Walk of Repentance)

 This has been in my face all week.  This message has been in my bible study, some lectures I have been listening to, and even a friend who was just sharing a frustration with me.  I know this is not lighthearted encouragement but I pray that you will take this to prayer and examine your own heart.    
_______________________________________________________
 
 
We are so double-minded.  We are like the Israelites when they would go up to the high places, sacrifice to the pagan gods, then come down to the temple of the true and living God and make a sacrifice to Him.  That sounds so appalling yet we do the same thing. We want all that God has to offer without giving up anything.  We want to live in the world and be like the world with a little slice of Christianity on the side.  The slice that makes us look good and gets us into heaven. 

 A friend the other day in frustration said,  “How are we any different?  We watch all the same shows, read all the same trashy novels, and skip church on Sundays for soccer.  We are teaching our kids at 9 years old that sports come before God and their church family.”

So I ask what outcome do we expect from that?  Have we forgotten completely the price that was paid for our salvation?  Do we think so little of our God?  Do we really think that we can live out a life in front of our children that is so much in love with this world and they will not be seriously affected?

In Haggai the Lord says to the people to "Consider your ways." 

If any of you lacks wisdom, you should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to you. But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.” James 1:5-8

 “Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded.  James 4:8

 "This is what the Lord Almighty says: “Give careful thought to your ways."  Haggai 1:5 and 7

"Watch your life and doctrine closely. Persevere in them, because if you do, you will save both yourself and your hearers." 1 Timothy 4:16

Heavenly Father, help me surrender all to you.  I pray that you would help me to clearly see my selfish desires and my love for the things of this world in the light of the sacrifice of my Savior, Jesus Christ.  Help me see with your eyes; eyes that focus on the eternal and not on the now.   Purify my heart so that there is no double-mindedness in me.  I pray that my children would see in my life a love that is bigger and deeper for you than for the things of this world.  Help me to teach them to love you and to walk in your ways all the days of their life. 

 

1 comment: