Saturday, October 27, 2012

WHY ME???


  
As Jesus was walking along, he saw a man who had been born blind.2 His followers asked him, "Teacher, whose sin caused this man to be born blind—his own sin or his parents' sin?"

  Jesus answered, "It is not this man's sin or his parents' sin that made him blind. This man was born blind so that God's power could be shown in him.

 -John 9:1-3 NCV-



It was a little over three years ago that the above passage came alive in my life. Sometimes you read a section of scripture and breathes in you new life  as you encounter the living God while reading it. 

These verses took on a whole new meaning to me when I gave birth to my second son Jack. It was only a few minutes after birthing my 10 lb. 9oz, 23 in., son that my mid-wife shared with me that he had a birth defect. We hadn't had a sonogram since 20 weeks and had no warning signs ahead of time. 


We walked through the first couple of weeks with our son and I remember questioning, "Why us?" I didn't understand why the Lord would choose us to walk through this trial. We were faithful servants with my husband in full-time ministry. I knew He was sovereign but just didn't understand this intersection in the path of our life. So often we question His purpose or plan with our finite minds, and we fail to remember He sees the whole picture. 


After many tears and questions the Lord gave my husband John 9:1-3 to share with me regarding our situation. Once I read this it completely changed how I looked at our situation. It changed from "Why us?" to "How can we use this for His glory?"


As we met with the surgeon we looked at every encounter as one HE placed before us. We prayed for ministry opportunities as we met with nurses and doctors in the office and hospital as well. My eyes became fixated on His will and not my own. It released the stress of trying to "figure it all out" and sincerely resting in the peace of Jesus. Our hope is to glorify the Lord through this process. 

A few surgeries behind us and one more in the future we look forward to seeing what the Lord will do if our hearts are just willing to let go of fear and hold tight to His hand. Christ wants to do much in and through us if we will take the focus off ourselves and place it back onto Jesus!


Are you walking through a season of your life that has you asking, "Why me?"

Seek for ways to glorify Him through the process.  

Read John 9:1-3 daily!

Pray for ministry opportunities.

You will be amazed at how He uses your "crazy" to encourage others because His Spirit is working in and through you.

Walking down the street, Jesus saw a man blind from birth. His disciples asked, “Rabbi, who sinned: this man or his parents, causing him to be born blind?”

Jesus said, “You’re asking the wrong question. You’re looking for someone to blame. There is no such cause-effect here. Look instead for what God can do. We need to be energetically at work for the One who sent me here, working while the sun shines. When night falls, the workday is over. For as long as I am in the world, there is plenty of light. I am the world’s Light.”
 - John 9:1-3 MSG

3 comments:

  1. Great post Kate!! Loved it! God uses those willing to be used thank you gor being His faithful servent!! Love the message Bible version of that verse!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post was awesome! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kate, thank you for the encouragement and words of truth. We can shine through him in everything if we allow Him to do the work in us. You and James are such a good example. :)

    ReplyDelete