Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Trial and Triumph

 "I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace.  In this world you will have trouble.  But take heart! I have overcome the world."
John 16:33

 In the Cudmore house lately we have been talking about the trials, troubles, and tests that come our way.  Being 16 and 15, my son Sam and daughter Bailee are facing new stresses of growing up. We know according to God's Word, nothing can pass through our lives without the permission of our Sovereign God.   This does not mean life is easier or trouble free, it simply means during these times we have choices to make.  My son Samuel once told me, "It's how you handle it."  Because we are saved through the death and resurrection of Jesus, we have the power to face any of life's difficulties with triumph.  God's ordained trials are rooted in His love for us. To refine us for His glory and our good. (see Isaiah 48:10 & 11 and Romans 8:28) Making that choice to trust God through the trials will keep us on His path.  This trust fuels our strength and enables us to walk each day that He has planned.  (Psalm 139:16).  Proverbs 19:23 also states, "The fear of the Lord leads to life; Then one rests content, untouched by trouble."  We will not be shaken; our roots go deep and we stand firm on God's Word. Choose to trust.

God will not always stop the storm but He will always bring you through it. Often times He'll let the storm rage. As your boat of life rocks you to and fro, He is in it with you.  He's not worried just waiting for you to call for help. A wonderful visual of this is found in the Gospel of Mark chapter 4:35-41.  Jesus and the disciples are literally in a boat together when Mark tells us a "furious squall" came up and waves broke over the boat.  All the while, Jesus was in the stern of the boat sleeping.  Can you imagine being a disciple?  Try. Think this scenario through.  The disciples were afraid; they could not understand.  The storm came out of nowhere. Jesus was not worried, (obviously ;D) He was sleeping!  The disciples called out to Jesus. Upon waking, He rebuked the storm (and the disciples) and brought them through it.  The disciples where astonished at the power Jesus displayed over the seas.  They learned a lesson that day about who Jesus was and the value of choosing to trust Him.

The key to passing through the "good, bad and ugliness" of life is believing God is in charge of all that comes our way.  It's not hard to believe this when life is going great is it? The real test is when it isn't.  Teaching our children this truth, especially in the teen years, is crucial. Often the emotions of trials can threaten to capsize their boat, but if they call out to Jesus, He will get them through the storm.  As the lighthouse beacon light leads a ship through the storm, our children can be a light for others as well. "See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the Lord rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn." Isaiah 60:2-3 This is my prayer for me and mine along with you and yours! "Being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you (in our children) will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus." Philippians 1:6


Footprints in the Sand

        One night I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord.
             Many scenes from my life flashed across the sky.
                  In each scene I noticed footprints in the sand.
                       Sometimes there were two sets of footprints,
                           other times there were one set of footprints.
                                  This bothered me because I noticed
                                that during the low periods of my life,
                             when I was suffering from
                         anguish, sorrow or defeat,
                     I could see only one set of footprints.
          So I said to the Lord,
      "You promised me Lord,
         that if I followed you,
             you would walk with me always.
                   But I have noticed that during
                          the most trying periods of my life
                                 there have only been one
                                       set of footprints in the sand.
                                           Why, when I needed you most,
                                          you have not been there for me?"
                                 The Lord replied,
                          "The times when you have
                  seen only one set of footprints,
          is when I carried you."
                                                   Mary Stevenson
  Copyright © 1984 Mary Stevenson, from original 1936 text, All rights reserved




No comments:

Post a Comment