Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Priorities Part 3 - Every good and perfect gift

Hello mamas. This is the third post in a series I felt led to share on priorities, an area the Lord continues to work with me on during my transition from working woman to stay at home mama. If you haven't read the first two and would like to, the first was titled, Priorities Part 1 - Waking Up With The Lord and posted on Wednesday, August 1. The second was Priorities Part 2 - Serving My Man and posted on Wednesday, September 5. So, after seeking first the kingdom of God and serving our husbands for those of us who are married, our next priority is our children, though it may seem sometimes they are the first, last and everything in between!

As I started praying about what the Lord wanted me to share about prioritizing our children, I felt led to share how he put it on my heart to leave my career to be a stay at home mom. It is such a joy, gift and blessing to be able to stay at home with our 14 month son and I am truly grateful to the Lord for calling me to it and providing for our family through my faithful husband. I want to share this with you because I wouldn't be home with Hunter if faithful friends hadn't challenged me in a very loving way about our family's decision for me to go back to work after Hunter was born. I wouldn't be a stay at home mom today if I hadn't heeded the Lord's clear voice; if I had let my fear prohibit my obedience; if I had allowed myself to focus more on what we would lose than what our family would gain. This was one of the most difficult and impactful decisions our family has had to make and it took us a long time to make it. Looking back, I suppose the question was, do I really believe that when God guides, he provides? Do I really trust him with this?

I know that God has a unique and perfect plan for each family. But, if this is something the Lord has placed on your heart and you are wrestling with it, I want to encourage you to take that leap of faith. Continue to pray and believe with your whole heart that when God guides, he provides. Perhaps your decision is not whether or not to stay home, but you are contemplating a career change. If you are already a stay at home mom, is there something the Lord has put on your heart to do, but you are putting off? What's stopping you? Does his request surprise you?

For myself, I was initially confused by his request. Then, I was fearful. You see, before we were even pregnant, the Lord brought forth this amazing opportunity for me to work part-time. Though it was a huge financial sacrifice at the time, we prayed about it and were just so sure this was his answer. Part-time was so hard to get at the company I worked for and we were so grateful. My husband joked that it was a gamble. He knew I would want to stay at home after our son was born, but if I worked part-time, maybe I would return to work and we would continue to get half of my salary, bonus, keep my company car, benefits, etc. One day while walking with my friend, Fran, she asked about my plans to go back to work after Hunter was born. I was pregnant at the time, and told her how I planned to go back part-time and what an awesome gift from the Lord this was.  Little did I know, that was the first time he would indicate to me that, actually, he had an even better plan! I started to pray about it. Before I even went back to work, changes started to happen at my company that would make my job just a little more challenging. I continued to pray. I went back to work, as planned, after six months of maternity leave, but continued to pray. Two months in, there was another major change that again made things just a little bit harder. Still, I wanted to be sure, so I stayed the course. It just seemed like so much to give up - the salary, bonus, most of all, the health care. Was this really what God wanted for our family? Wouldn't the lack of income, and especially, the health care, the stress of it all, place a burden on our home, on our marriage? What would we have to go without? I really liked my job, and I loved my customers and co-workers.

One evening, the Lord spoke to me so clearly, leading me to three things. The first was:

James 1:17 NIV
Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of the heavenly lights, who does not change like shifting shadows.

The change at work was a gift because it would lead me to stay home. Our son was his gift, that he wanted me to enjoy to the fullest.

The next thing I was led to was Daniel's prayer of praise when God answered his prayer and revealed the king's dream to him.

Daniel 2: 20-23 NIV

Then Daniel praised the God of heaven 20 and said:
“Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever;
wisdom and power are his.
21 He changes times and seasons;
he deposes kings and raises up others.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning.
22 He reveals deep and hidden things;
he knows what lies in darkness,
and light dwells with him.
23 I thank and praise you, God of my ancestors:
You have given me wisdom and power,
you have made known to me what we asked of you,
you have made known to us the dream of the king.

This change was God's answer. My part-time opportunity was his answer for that season. As the prayer above indicates, God has different plans for different seasons. Sometimes, we can be so grateful for his gift for a season, that we don't see his next gift! It's even better than the last!

And, finally, the Lord used THIS BLOG to clear up all doubt.  He had already told me that this change was a gift and that it was his answer, but it wasn't until I read Kate's post from February 18, titled, " Words of Wisdom- Part 1", where Kate's mom, Brigid, shared about the "value of being a stay at home mom" that it all came together for me.  His answer.  I was fearful, but obedient.  We didn't have it all figured out, but we took a leap of faith.  This has been one of the top 3 best decisions we've ever made as a family.  I believe God spoke this clearly to me so that I would refer back in times of doubt and, now, so that I can share with you.  If you can stay home with your little ones, do.  If you want to but think you can't, pray.  Where God guides, he provides.

So, friend, what is it for you?  Is the Lord leading you to stay home?  Change jobs?  Contribute to this blog?  Whatever it is, obey right now!  You will be so blessed.  His plan is perfect for you, dear one.  There is nothing too big for our God!

No comments:

Post a Comment