Thursday, October 18, 2012

God Calls the Ordinary

This week I have been walking with a very dear friend through some very hard life challenges.  The enemy has been doing his best to make me feel inadequate in my ability to encourage this friend and give her biblical advice.  But whenever the enemy discourages, God always finds a way to build me up. 

 I was listening to a sermon by Pastor Chuck Smith.  His sermon was on the last half of the book of Amos and in it he briefly hit this point, God calls the ordinary person.  I felt so much encouragement in that because I am so ordinary.  I am not a trained counselor, or biblical scholar.  But God has given me a burning desire to grow deeper in relationship with Him, to serve Him, and to share His love with others.  He has also given me a love for coming alongside women and encouraging them, praying for them, learning God’s word with them, and walking through life’s challenges with them. 

 So you moms who feel utterly ordinary, like myself, this is encouragement for you.  Read here about three very ordinary men that God called while they were doing their very ordinary jobs.

 

Moses is tending the flocks when God calls him from a burning bush:

But Moses said to God, “Who am I that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?”  Exodus 3:11

 

An angel of the Lord calls Gideon as he is threshing wheat:

“Pardon me, my lord,” Gideon replied, “but how can I save Israel? My clan is the weakest in Manasseh, and I am the least in my family.”  Judges 6:15

 

A priest challenges Amos, the prophet, wanting to know where his authority comes from:

“…I was no prophet, neither was I a prophet's son; but I was an herdsman, and a gatherer of sycamore fruit: And the Lord took me as I followed the flock, and the Lord said unto me, Go, prophesy unto my people Israel.  Amos 7:14-15

 

To the ordinary mom I say, stop disqualifying yourself for the service of God.  Whatever God is calling you to He will equip you for just as He did Moses, Gideon, and Amos.  God is what made these men in our eyes seem so extraordinary.  That same God lives in you.  If He is calling you while you are doing a load of laundry to encourage a friend, get on the phone.  If He is calling you to step out of your comfort zone and lead a small group, remember how big your God is. 

 

Lord, I pray that my eyes and ears would be open to Your call.  Give me the faith to follow You.  I trust in You to equip me Lord for wherever you lead me.  While I wait on you Lord, I pray that I hunger for your word like I have never hungered before.  Draw me closer to you as you prepare this ordinary woman to live a life pleasing to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment