Thursday, October 4, 2012

Guess Who Loves You?


Guess who loves you?”  I said to my 7year old son. 

 
You love me!”  He responded quickly with a giggle. 

 
Well how did you know the answer to my question so fast?”  I asked.
 

His response here made my heart and my face smile.  He said, “Because you give me spankings.  If you didn’t love me you wouldn’t care if I was good.”
 

A hug, a kiss, and a little tickle was my response as I said, “Your right buddy, I love you.” 

  

Lord Jesus, thank you for that smile and encouragement from the mouth of a babe who was just sharing his heart.  You bless me in the most magnificent ways. 

 

Honestly I cannot remember the last time I had to spank that boys butt.  But he gets it!  That is so encouraging to me.  Not all my children get that.  He is the one who when another one of the children is getting disciplined and they are begging for just one more chance.  He is in the background saying, “momma can’t give one more chance because she loves you.”  I just can’t believe the wisdom of this boy he amazes me.  He sees the love and the lesson. 

 Mom, be encouraged.  When we discipline in love and in God’s way our kids will see it.  Do we mess up sometimes and discipline in anger or frustration?  Yes.  But do we apologize?  Do our kids see our sorrow over our sin and know we love them?   

I wonder what kind of child I am.  Am I always asking God for one more chance or do I get it?  Do I know his discipline is in love or do I blame everyone else and God for my problems?  Does His heart and face smile down on me or is He shaking His head? 


 “My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in.Proverbs 3:11-12

 

Beauty comes from discipline, from us disciplining our children and from God disciplining us. 

 

No discipline seems pleasant at the time, but painful. Later on, however, it produces a harvest of righteousness and peace for those who have been trained by it.” 
Hebrews 12:11

1 comment:

  1. Good one, Courtney! So true! If we really love our kids we will discipline them...even when it really does hurt us more than them. I never understood that phrase when I was younger, but I totally get it now! Consistent discipline is so hard, but it does produce fruit...and our kids feel secure when they know the boundaries. Great job!

    ReplyDelete