Friday, October 19, 2012

Let them Squeal!


Marie Antoinette is remembered for her quote, “Let them eat cake!” I have adjusted the quote to “Let them squeal!”

If you think squealing is only for pigs…you are wrong!  Hope (at 15 years old) has always been our “squealer.”  No she isn’t the family tattletale.  Rather, she has been my child that to take her outside, to a park, or down a slide…she squealed.  She squeals when she sees a friend or goes fast on her bike.  She squealed when we went to Disney World or jumped in a pool.  You get the picture?
This weekend proved no exception. Hope won the grand prize drawing at an event we attended in May.  It was a two-night stay at any Marriott in the continental United States.  (I should mention, she squealed when they called her number!) She chose to redeem it by asking one friend to celebrate her birthday in Marco Island.
From our entrance in the driveway of the Marriott the squealing began! She squealed with her friend as we entered their lobby with its a-frame exposed beamed ceiling.   There was only a second of a notion to stop the girls from squealing as we drove in.  However, God gave me a smile and the thought, “What if you could enjoy life the way Hope does?”
I made it my goal, that her every squeal of the weekend would be my reminder to smile and enjoy!  Oh how we did! From the breakfast buffet with its homemade French toast, to the pool with the slide…Hope squealed and I smiled. 
Google images
With a fifteen year old who is as tall as me, people would expect a certain level of maturity. But with every squeal I just smiled. I can’t even express how much I relaxed and enjoyed her joy.  I loved watching her have fun.  Swimming in the different pools, walking to the Gulf, lying in the hammock, eating ice cream with an illegal amount of sprinkles.  She squealed and I smiled. 
Life is so short girls.  God is good to let me enjoy a 15 year-old squealer.  Each of your children are enjoying life at their level. Whether it’s your little man pushing cars complete with “Vrooming” sounds, or your little princesses asking you to join their tea parties.  Will you make it your goal to join them?
Lay on your tummy and push a matchbox car. Do a cannon ball into the pool. Snuggle up and watch a DVD while eating popcorn (and let M&M’s melt in the bag.)  Join your children Mommas!  Join their perception of life! Let them squeal! You could even, "Let them eat cake!"
Google Images
                      James 4: 14 “How do you know what your life will be like tomorrow? 
                    Your life is like the morning fog--it's here a little while, then it's gone.” ELT


7 comments:

  1. Wow! Thanks Joannie! This is perfect and right on time!!! I have been struggling with one of my little ones maturity (or lack there of) and frankly in social circles so has she :( Many times God reminds me to enjoy her as she is and be thankful she has not yet blossomed into teen mentality :) This is yet another great reminder. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are a wonderful Mom! In fact with your education, school and little ones, I'm not sure how you have done it...yet I know you have been blessed with a great husband and The Most Amazing Heavenly Father ever!! HE is doing it in and through you. Love you friend! PS I'm glad your teen hasn't fully blossomed yet...there is more time to enjoy her innocence.

      Delete
  2. Loved that post... thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know you enjoyed the post. It's an honor to write with all of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Xoxo :) thanks that means alot! Love u!You and me both!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! What an excellent reminder, Joannie!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone took your phrase from you! lol

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9Y24MFOfFU

    ReplyDelete