Monday, October 1, 2012

Is It In You?




Have you seen the Gatorade commercial where the athletes are sweating this yellow, orange, and red fluid? The whole point of the commercial, of course, is that Gatorade will keep you hydrated in an athletic competition. When the going gets tough, the Gatorade gets to working. So, is it in you?

To be honest, I have never thought much about this commercial until the pastor at church yesterday held up a Styrofoam cup. He told the audience, “You don’t know what is in this cup. But if I test it, prod it, poke it, or shake it, you will soon find out.” His point? When we are tested by trials in this life, they not only produce fruit in our lives (perseverance, patience, stronger faith, etc.), but they also reveal what is inside us? They show us where we need to trust God more and grow up.

Ouch! I have to admit that a couple of weeks ago, I received some news that did not make me happy. In fact, it was messing up my nice little plan. More than that, I knew God could step in and fix my situation in an instant. Yet, he was allowing me to wait this one out. I vividly remember telling God, “If you are testing me to see what is really in me, then you are poking just hard enough that some junk is about to come out, and it does not look pretty.” I know. I know. How dare I be so brash with God! However, I figured that He knows my thoughts anyway; I might as well voice them honestly, yet respectfully and ask him to fix me. It was kind of like I was saying, “Lord, I had no idea that kind of junk was in there. I am trusting that you will help me clean this up. Better yet, I am trusting that you will uproot this nastiness of heart and replace it with something that truly pleases you.”

Martin Luther once said, “If it were not for tribulations, I would not understand the Scripture.” How true is that! If it were not for the messy, the painful, and the uncomfortable, I would not know God personally and intimately. There really are no shortcuts to spiritual growth. It is what made Job declare, “I had heard about you before, but know I have seen you with my own eyes.” Job 42:5

Trials and intimacy with the Father are also what caused Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego to stand up to King Nebuchadnezzar and declare, “If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O King. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O King, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold that you have set up.” Daniel 3:17-18 These three guys had the confidence that God could deliver them, BUT even if God said “no, not this time”, they still decided to trust Him.

That, my friend, is what God wants to do in my life and your life. He wants to get the junk out! He wants to replace our trash with treasure, so that we can receive the joy and crown of life that he promises to those who endure hardship faithfully. Consider James 1: 2-4; 12

                Consider it pure joy, my brothers [and sisters], whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Perseverance must finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking any good thing…

                Blessed is the man [or woman] who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he will receive the crown of life that God promises to those who love him.

So, is it trash day in your house? What is in you that God is trying to take out and replace with Himself? Let Him, and join me in asking for the strength to stand in our trials knowing that He is in control. Need direction? Join me in asking God for wisdom—to know what to do with the information we have. Importantly, stay in his word. Romans 10:17 declares, “Faith comes by hearing, and hearing from the Word of God.”

Let’s pray:

God you are so faithful to us. You love us so much! Help us to trust you even when this world gives us a reason to doubt your goodness. Your love for us is perfect. Help us stand up under trials. Help us to learn the truths that will set us free and be renewed inwardly as we trust in you. Help us have the faith to say, “Lord, we know you can, but even if you do not, we will still put our hope, faith, and trust in you.” We love you Lord. Please be our sustainer and our portion forever. Thank you for loving us enough to get the junk out. In Jesus’ name we pray, Amen.

 

1 comment:

  1. Just what I needed to hear :) Thanks for the encouragement <3

    ReplyDelete