Sunday, September 30, 2012

Pull the WEED

 Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need. 
-Hebrews 4:16-

It was a few weeks ago that I was cutting my backyard when I noticed a ton of weeds were completely covering our banana trees. You couldn't even see the fruit because the weeds had taken over the bush. Fruit was there, it was just covered by overgrown weeds that could have been taken care of had I just pulled the weeds out when they first showed up. Reality is I hate yard work, and will put it off until the very end. The unfortunate side to that is many times the work is much harder in the yard because I haven't taken those few moments to pull the weeds when they first peak up. 


This got me thinking about the "weeds" in my life. I have weeds as a wife. I have weeds as a mom. I have weeds as a friend. I need to make margin in my life to pull those weeds up, evaluate and make a plan to prevent the weed from coming back. Many times I see the weed, walk by, and later reap crazy because of it. I need to be proactive with those things that cause the fruit of Jesus to be hidden. Just like those bananas were there, so too is the fruit of Christ in our lives, but because sin overtakes the process, it causes us to look just like every other mom; every other woman. 

When I choose to yell at my son instead of breathing, praying, and then addressing the issue...I am allowing the weeds of frustration & anger to perk up and overtake me. I need to go back, pray, pull that weed up, and ask a friend to hold me accountable with it. That takes humility, transparency, and love for Jesus. In my moments of temptation, I need to pray for the fruit of Jesus to be present and seek to bring Him glory in the process. 



So what is your "weed?"

Have you tried to pull it? 

Who will you ask to hold you accountable?

Don't allow sin to hide the fruit that He so desperately wants the world to see.  Be willing to sacrifice pride and ask for help.





No comments:

Post a Comment