Saturday, September 8, 2012

THE "S" WORD!!!!!




The "S" Word....SUBMISSION

This is how the holy women of old made themselves beautiful. They trusted God and accepted the authority of their husbands.
  - 1 Peter 3:5


Recently our family was with some friends when I observed a wife acting similar to how I do sometimes. Her husband encouraged her, about what to do with their child,  and the wife quickly and quietly rebutted, and did her own thing instead. Honestly, as I watched, it was as if the Holy Spirit had that account happen just for my eyes to observe. I saw myself. I felt sad because sometimes in even the simplistic of things I struggle allowing my husband to lead. 

I forget little eyes are watching me. More importantly Christ is watching me. How I submit is how my boys will expect their wives to as well. They will submit with a true heart when they see me mirroring that as well.

WOW that is powerful, right? 

I love how God knows where we will struggle and gives us the Word to encourage us in the "pit" with exact directions on how to climb out of it! 

"...and you will desire to control your husband, but he will rule over you." - Genesis 3:16 

and then

Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything. - Ephesians 5:24



Many times my husband will encourage me to do something and I will weasel my way out of honoring him, all the while my kids are observing this whole thing going down. Many times my husband has reminded me not to have the kiddos eat in the car. Many times I have chosen my own way and disobeyed. My sons have reminded me of my sin leading many times to my "calling Daddy to tell him of my disobedience!" 


A pastor's wife once shared that when her kids question the dad's authority to her, she simply states, "Whatever Daddy says...goes!" She also follows up with a reminder to her children that, "Daddy is the leader of our home and family." 

Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. - Romans 13:1

I have that verse up in my home, on a sticky note, and call my children's attention to it before heading to church. It reminds them to submit to authority and obey the rules given. 

How can I expect my children to obey teachers, coaches, even their Daddy, if I am not willing to sacrificially be the example of what that looks like?

Do you struggle with submission? Your husband? Your boss?

Lord, I pray that you will keep me humble and allow my heart to be molded by your Word. Thank you for situations that highlight the sin in my life, and help my eyes to be open to see them. Help me to be a good example of submission...by your strength and might! I love you!

Remember many are watching and ...those closest ...will imitate!



No comments:

Post a Comment