Sunday, September 23, 2012

ENCOURAGE ME


All praise to the God and Father of our Master, Jesus the Messiah! Father of all mercy! God of all healing counsel! He comes alongside us when we go through hard times, and before you know it, he brings us alongside someone else who is going through hard times so that we can be there for that person just as God was there for us. We have plenty of hard times that come from following the Messiah, but no more so than the good times of his healing comfort—we get a full measure of that, too. -2 Corinthians 1:3-5 MSG

Sometimes as moms we just need some encouragement. We need that cup of cold water poured out onto our dry and thirsty land. We need someone to pray with us and remind us that it will be ok. Those that have walked before step up and live out the above verse. Allowing healing to happen with the help of the Holy Spirit.


I was reminded of this truth a few days ago when my younger sister gave birth to her first child. Living in a different state, I have been relying heavily on IPhone's "Facetime" to see the baby and calling throughout my day to check on her. 

What an adjustment it is, as a new mom, isn't it? 


Some will jump right into motherhood and bounce right back completely as if they never skipped a beat. Then there are others needing any extra help they can get just to "survive" each day! When I had my first I was definitely the latter. That is why I feel so burdened to check in tons with my sister knowing the trials that come with being a new mom. I want the Lord to use me to comfort her in the same way HE used other moms to encourage me too.

Many times the Lord gives us opportunities to be a vessel used to encourage another, but because our lives are so "busy" we miss it. We can be so focused inward that the outward expression of our faith is obsolete. Don't you agree?


For some that opportunity may be sending a word through the mail or maybe texting a scripture verse to encourage. For some it will be a phone call. Others will double that recipe and run it over to the exhausted and worn out mommy.  Many will offer to babysit, even for a few minutes, so that mommy can nap or shower. What a gift!



I can remember so many who prayed for, encouraged, made meals, loved on, and cared for my family during those tough and exhausting weeks in the beginning. Those willing to take time out of their week to lighten my load some. I was blessed watching Christ use believers during my time of need,  and now my heart yearns to do the same on the flip side.

One of my favorite "blessings" was, after the birth of my second son, and a sweet friend found out (from my husband) my favorite Starbucks drink, came over, and took my older son out to the park while I sipped my Frappacchino in peaceful bliss! 


Aaagghh what a gift. Simple idea with huge impact on a tired and weary mom. A day cherished where the Lord used a willing vessel to refresh me in the very small way I needed. I want to be that type of friend someday! One who listens and heeds the call.

How does the Lord want to use you today? 

Are your eyes wide open and ready to receive the "mission" he is sending you?

In your life, what does being a willing "vessel" look like practically, in the way of service, amongst those HE has surrounded you with?

Lord, we want to be used by you. Help us to clear the path, schedule, and busyness of life in order to fulfill the call you have on our lives. You are Jehovah Jireh, the perfect provider...please help us to live that out for those in need today.  Love you and we are grateful to call you our friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment