Tuesday, September 11, 2012

That's Not the Plan!

I am a planner! I am constantly updating my calendar with appointments, ministries, and meetings. I plan for the year, for the month and my days. I plan my budget, my family time, and all my social events. And what's a plan without LISTS? Glorious, glorious lists! To-Do Lists, Chores Lists, Shopping Lists, Gift Lists... just to name a few. Without my calendars and lists, I feel frazzeled. I forget things easily.

In his heart a man plans his course, but the Lord determines his steps. - Proverbs 16:9

Lately, things have NOT been going according to plan! Something seems to constantly pop up and thwart my plans. Just this past weekend, my sister was visiting from Georgia. I planned to spend Saturday with her and reserved Sunday for laundry and chores. I can't believe she completely ruined my plans with a wonderful impromptu beach BBQ with family, including my 91 year old grandmother! God blessed me with a time to be remembered and cherished.

Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the Lord's purpose that prevails. - Proverbs 19:21

When things don't go as planned (my plan), my first reaction is frustration. I planned it, therefore it's going to happen. Isn't that how it works? This kind of chaos only happens to people that don't plan ahead, right? I realized it was just a cover up for a lack of faith. If I don't know the next step, I tend to worry.

So do not worry, saying, "What shall we eat?" or "What shall we drink?" or "What shall we wear?" For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. But seek first the kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own. - Matthew 6:31-35

I am learning to rest in the Lord. I am learning to not miss out on life for the sake of getting things done or checking items off a list. I am learning to cherish time with family and friends. I am learning to enjoy life. I am learning to love others first. I am learning that my plan is not always the BEST plan.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." - Jeremiah 29:11

Questions: Are you allowing God's purpose to prevail? Are you seeking first the kingdom? Are you enjoying the people and the time He has given you on earth?

1 comment:

  1. Last night my husband and I watched a video talking about "enjoying the moment we are in" and how so often we are looking at our phone, calendar, next event, that we don't enjoy the now, what is right in front of us. Your blog reminded me to just enjoy today, this moment, right now, because there is no guarantee for tomorrow. Life is a vapor (James 4:14).

    ReplyDelete