Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Who's Shaking My Snow Globe?

Have you ever felt as if all the pieces of your life were in a snow globe and someone was shaking it unbearably? Just when you think you have your family, your work, and the other 500 things you have to do, all organized in your little world… SHAKE, SHAKE, SHAKE! Before you know it, everything is flying everywhere. That’s exactly how I’ve felt over the past few weeks. My ‘world’ has been a hot mess also known as stress.

History has proven that I do not deal with stress well. I thought handling stress was being able to not scream and yell. My doctor kept telling me to deal with my stress, and I kept telling him, “I’m not stressed.” Not until after several doctor visits did I realize I was internalizing my stress. Stress was the cause of my upset stomachs, high blood pressure, exhaustion and headaches.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7(NIV)

We are to pray and petition God in EVERY situation, no matter how bleak or unfixable it may seem. We need to “let go and let God.” We are also called to honor God with our bodies. This means taking care of ourselves. A good diet and regular exercise is the best way to accomplish this.

Do you not know that your bodies are temples of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your bodies. - 1 Corinthians 6:19-20 (NIV)

 Challenge:
1) Evaluate your food choices this week. Is there anything that needs adjusting? Pray about fasting from a particular food like sugar, breads, or soda.  
2) Evaluate the amount of exercise you get this week. Perhaps you need to up your game. You may even need to start a plan. Start off with simple things like walking to the mailbox or around the house. Do something!  

No comments:

Post a Comment