Tuesday, January 31, 2012

In Training


This past week, we began our first experience with potty training a toddler. Our daughter Selah is 2 1/2 years old, so we thought it was as good a time as any to start. The first day was very tough. She did not like sitting on the potty at all, and she did not really understand that we were asking her to listen to her body's cues that it's time and not just go then and there, but instead wait until she could sit on the seat and "put her pee pee in the bucket". The first half of the day was filled with accidents; but after her nap, she seemed to get the hang of it and went the rest of the evening with no trouble at all.

On day 2 we went on our first big outing and took the potty with us. You know you are a parent when you are sitting in the back of your SUV with your little one on the potty in the parking lot of a grocery store. But, we had no accidents and many more successful outings to follow. Within a week she was even going without us knowing. I discovered this when I walked in the living room to find my one year old, Susannah, banging the pee pee bucket against the potty seat and sitting in a puddle of wetness. True story...

Then it happened. One week in, and we thought we had success (well, not totally, #2 on the potty is another challenge altogether). Selah was used to the potty, going on her own without reminders, and even picking out which pair of big girl underwear she would wear each day. But this day, she was just not having it. She had an accident as soon as she woke up and then another mid-morning, and she was not phased at all. She even jumped in it like it was a puddle! To top it off, she had a 3rd accident in the middle of the toy aisle at Walmart with my husband. She just stopped communicating and caring.

As we were talking through our frustration and how to get her back on track, the spiritual truth in all of this hit me in the face. How many times has the Lord thought He has finally gotten me to a place He can use me only to have me backslide into a bad habit, sinful behavior, etc. I mean, I totally get it. There are days when I don't want to be a 'big girl' and would rather take the easy way out; but our Father just lovingly and patiently leads me on, gently whispering "you can do this" in my ear- just as we have decided to do with Selah to get her back on track.

It's funny. I am typing this while my girls are down for their nap but not quite asleep yet. In the time it has taken me to write this, I have gotten up to rescue little Susie 3 times already. She has reached the point where her legs are just the right size to get stuck between the crib bars, but she has not yet learned to stop dangling her feet and legs out of the crib. So, she cries out to me when she gets stuck in the same trap over and over. Again, I cannot help but see the parallel to our walk with God. How many times does He have to rescue us from the same situation we get ourselves into before we finally learn our lesson? But, like Him, I will still run to my child each time she cries out for help and lovingly rescue her and kiss away her tears. What a beautiful picture of the Father's love. And what a great way to regain focus amidst the frustration. (Make that 4 rescues for Susie...) =o)

Let's pray together-
Loving Father, please help me to be encouraged as I think of all of the times You rescued me from my mistakes and showed me Your patient love and grace when I backslid in my life. Please help me to model Your love and grace as a parent to these precious children You have blessed me with and not get discouraged when they seem to take one step forward and two steps back. May I reflect Your patience, grace, love, and mercy and not lose heart in this journey of parenting. Please help me to softly whisper words of faith and encouragement in their ears rather than speaking harshly with words of frustration and disappointment. Please help my heart to listen and obey You when Your Spirit gently leads me back after a fall. Please help me to teach them to do the same. Thank You for loving me with such a deep and unending love and allowing me to get a glimpse of it in the love I feel for my children. You are a great and faithful God, and I am so thankful I am Your child. In Jesus' name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment