Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Applying Scripture in Daily Instruction and Discipline






Recently, I blogged about a goal I had set for myself to incorporate Scripture into my daily discipline, praise, and instruction of my girls. I love this challenge, and have been working to add and apply different verses as situations arise with my girls. My prayer is that hearing the Word of the Lord spoken to them consistently in correction and praise will really allow them to remember and apply God's Word. Kate encouraged me to put them into a list to share, and today, I would like to share some of the verses the Lord has placed on my heart as they relate to challenges and triumphs we face on a daily basis with our kids.

When I taught Kindergartners, I would get their attention by saying, "God's eyes search the earth looking for a heart that loves Him. Right now my eyes are searching the classroom looking for obedient students who are... sitting up straight, have self controlled hands, making eye contact, etc. " This took a portion of 2 Chronicles 16:19 and applied it to the desired behavior asked of the students.

Similarly, when Selah shares with Susie (a task she frequently finds frustrating), I have been praising her using 2 Corinthians 9:7 saying, “You did a great job sharing! God loves a cheerful giver!” Another example would be applying Hebrews 13:16 in instances of obedience saying, “That was a good choice to be obedient the first time Mommy asked you to ____. It pleases the Lord when you obey Mommy and Daddy.” You can also reverse that to say "It does not please the Lord when you disobey."

The following are verses that have been placed on my heart. I pray they will inspire you in your daily instruction and discipline of your children.

Sharing-

Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. 2 Corinthians 9:7

And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased. Hebrews 13:16

(God is pleased when you do good and share.)

Disobedience-

If you love Me, keep My commandments. John 14:15
(You show Jesus you love Him when you choose to be obedient.)

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Ephesians 6:1
(God tells us first time obedience is the right choice.)

Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord. Colossians 3:20

…“Blessed rather are those who hear the word of God and obey it.” Luke 11:28
(God blesses those who are obedient.)

Whoever scorns instruction will pay for it, but whoever respects a command will be rewarded. Proverbs 13:13


Self-Control-

because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. James 1:20
(I understand you feel angry, but when you react like that it does not show the righteous character God desires for you.)

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Galatians 5:22-23

Whoever has no rule over his own spirit, is like a city broken down without walls. Proverbs 25:28
(A great visual when talking to your children about lack of self-control.)

Patience-

The patient in spirit is better than the proud in spirit. Ecclesiastes 7:8

Love is patient and kind. 1 Corinthians 13:4

(Love is patient and kind. Were you being very loving just now?)


Loving-

Love does no harm to a neighbor. Romans 13:10

Love your neighbor as yourself. (several references inc.: Mark 12:33, Luke 10:27, Gal. 5:14)

(Were you loving your brother/sister/etc. the way you would want to be loved?)


Gentleness-

Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love. Ephesians 4:2
(When your brother/sister/friend is having a hard time, God wants you to be humble and gentle, and show him/her love.)

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Philippians 4:5

Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight. 1 Peter 3:4
(God is very pleased when you have a gentle and quiet spirit.)


Words-

May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, LORD, my Rock and my Redeemer. Psalm 19:14
(Do you think the words that just came out of your mouth and the feelings in your heart are pleasing to God right now?)

The words of the reckless pierce like swords, but the tongue of the wise brings healing. Proverbs 12:18


Gracious words are a honeycomb, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.
Proverbs 16:24


keep your tongue from evil and your lips from telling lies. Psalm 34:13

(John 8:44 is also a strong reference for dealing with telling lies, as it refers to Satan as the 'father of all lies')

Those who guard their mouths and their tongues keep themselves from calamity. Proverbs 21:23

(If you would have guarded your mouth and chosen not to say that, do you think you would have had a consequence?)

A lying tongue hates those it hurts… Proverbs 26:28
(It hurt ____ when you told that lie. The Bible says a lying tongue hates those it hurts. Do you want to hurt ___'s feelings? Do you want them to think you hate them? What can you say/do to help heal the hurt your words caused?)


Attitude-

For the eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him. 2 Chronicles 16:19

These verses have been a great starting place for me, and I pray you are blessed by them as well. Whatever method you use to introduce Scripture into the daily lives of your children is a wonderful opportunity to utilize the wisdom the Lord gives to us through His Word. My prayer is that we will raise up a generation of disciples that love the Lord with their whole hearts, souls, minds, and strength. This is just the beginning of helping them learn to hide God's Word in their hearts.

Prayer-Father, I thank you for Your Word. May it be a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path. Please help me to hide it in my heart that I may speak wisdom to my children, teaching them to understand, love, and obey Your commands. Please bring the perfect verse to mind for every instance of correction and praise that arises throughout our day today and in the days that follow. Please place the love and knowledge of and thirst for Your Word on my children's hearts and minds. I pray that You would guide my words that I would not discipline in anger, but reflect Your understanding, mercy, and grace as I correct my children. I love you Lord and continue to seek Your guidance in this great responsibility You have blessed me with. Thank you Father for the gift of my children. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.


1 comment:

  1. Tammy this is awesome! I am printing this one out to use it. I love when I hear my kids say "mommy___ did something to me and I Matthew 18ed them, now I need your help." I know this works and is good and pleasing unto the Lord!! Thank you for these. LOVE it!! What a great mommy you are ;)

    ReplyDelete