Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Allowing God

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:3&4)

"I once kept a bottle-shaped cocoon of an emperor moth for nearly one year...I happened to witness the first efforts of my imprisoned moth to escape from its long confinement. All morning I watched it patiently striving and struggling to be free. It never seemed able to get beyond a certain point, and at last my patience was exhausted. The confining fibers were probably drier and less elastic than if the cocoon had been left all winter in its native habitat, as nature meant it to be. In any case, I thought I was wiser and more compassionate than its Maker, so I resolved to give it a helping hand. With the point of my scissors, I snipped the confining threads to make the exit just a little easier. Immediately and with perfect ease, my moth crawled out, dragging a huge swollen body and little shriveled wings! I watched in vain to see the marvelous process of expansion in which these wings would silently and swiftly develop before my eyes. As I examined the delicately beautiful spots and markings of various colors that were all there in miniature, I longed to see them assume their ultimate size. I looked for my moth, one of the loveliest of its kind, to appear in all its perfect beauty. But I looked in vain. My misplaced tenderness had proved to be its ruin. The moth suffered an aborted life, crawling painfully through its brief existence instead of flying through the air on rainbow wings." (Streams, Jan 9)

Wouldn't it be so much easier if God would just give a snip and we'd be cut free from the struggles of this world? But he doesn't. And there's a reason. We each have a journey that God wants to be an intimate part of. And that doesn't come about overnight.

Thinking of loved ones who are so dear to me, I just want to swoop in and fix their problems. Take away their pain. But if it were that easy, there would be no reason for them to lean on God, their true healer and comforter.


As mothers, we're especially prone to this. We don't want our kids to fail or to feel badly, so we try to fix and mend and kiss their problems away. It's especially hard to watch and say nothing.


The other day, I took my boys and a neighbor friend to play soccer at the park. The three were very excited to play together on the field. As we got out of the car I heard Cooper yell to his friend, "Come on! Let's go play, Matthew!". But just as they were running to the soccer field, a classmate from Matthew's school recognized him and the two began talking about trading cards. Cooper was still running. Before long, the classmate was invited to play soccer with the rest of them and they all ran to the ball. Now, Cooper is five and Matt and his friend are 8, so when they decided teams would be Cooper and Griffin against the two 8 year olds I almost jumped in to say--no way. That not's fair. But Cooper beat me to the response and said, "OK!" with the most innocent and optimistic expression on his face. He had no idea.


Watching the four of them play, it didn't take long to figure out the two older ones had played this game before. They kicked back and forth to each other with precision and as soon as Cooper would almost get to the ball it was kicked out of the way by the other team. I thought for sure he'd catch on to them being older and faster and better, but he just kept running and tried his best to play the game. My heart was breaking for him because I knew he didn't have a chance, but I didn't feel like me saying it would make things better. This was one of those times I just had to sit and watch and let him figure it out on his own and hope that a notch in his character belt would be added.


Sometimes, we want quick answers to our problems. Or maybe for a family member who is struggling. But God's timing is perfect and is not our own. He allows us to develop in our own time and loves us all the while.


God,
Give us patience this week as we watch our kids try and fall. Help us to step back and allow them room to grow through their struggle. You have them in the palm of your hand, Lord, and you love them deeply. We praise you for your guidance and protection in their lives.
In this we pray,
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written and such a great reminder... Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete