Monday, January 2, 2012

Love Never Fails

By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another.” John 13:35 (NIV)

I used to say that being a mom is the toughest, yet best job EVER! I need to revise that statement to say the following: “Being a wife and a mom are the toughest, but best jobs EVER!” Unfortunately, I have watched too many marriages around me fall apart—Christian marriages! I am not talking about people who are purposely living selfish lives with no regard for the Lord, but people who are in the church with kids who have been calling it quits. My heart breaks for them!

There are no exact manuals for raising kids or having a happy, healthy marriage, but there are a lot of good references out there (check out Courtney’s blog—“Happy Reading to You” for some GREAT resources). I have also discovered that sometimes marriages fail because we don’t follow the best manual out there: the Bible. (As a side note, I must also say that while divorce saddens me, I do know of a couple of situations that were actually necessary because the wife or kids were in danger. I don’t want this blog to seem like I a condemning those woman who stepped out of necessity. That is an entirely different issue.)

A few verses that I cling to as my life blood in marriage are as follows:

“However, each one of you must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.” Ephesians 5:33

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps not record of wrongs.” 1 Corinthians 13:4-5

Then Peter came to Jesus and asked, “Lord, how many times should I forgive my brother when he sins against me? Up to seven times?” Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy times seven.” Matthew 18: 21-22

God’s word challenges me tremendously to be the wife that God calls me to be! I recently told my husband that I believe one of the reasons God created marriage was to make us more like Him—more loving, less selfish, more forgiving, more patient, less proud, more devoted to prayer, the list goes on and on.

As I watched my husband play on the floor with our boys today, I felt so encouraged and refreshed. This coming June we will celebrate eight years of marriage (even though I am only 29 years old). We have been through our share of hurdles, dings, and bruises. I have rejoiced with him, cried over him, prayed for him, etc. Yet God is faithful to renew us and transform us from the people we once were to the couple we are now. As I watched my guys play and laugh, I prayed thanking God for the transformation he has done in me and my husband. I thanked him for getting us through the tough times and teaching my heart to love again when I felt I was hurting too much to completely let go again. I can truly say that after some rough seasons, I am truly enjoying my husband again! I am enjoying dating him, sharing life with him, getting to know him more, raising our kids with him, etc.!

I just want to encourage you ladies to take Joannie’s previous blog to heart: The best gift we can give our kids is a happy, healthy, godly marriage! I would encourage you to invest in your marriage just as much as you invest in your kids, homeschooling, work, working out, etc. Actually I would encourage you to invest in your marriage even more. Make time for “quality time”, read books that give godly insight, take care of yourself, and be purposeful about meeting your husband’s needs…and if you aren’t sure what they are…ask him!

This new year, I would also encourage you to say “yes” to the right things and “NO” to the distractions. If God is calling you to do something, do it! BUT also consider that God may also be calling you to cut back and to do the things he has already entrusted to you even better. Have a very blessed New Year, and enjoy your husband, my friend.

In His love,
Teresa

Challenge: Consider the verses above. Pray daily for your husband. Also pray for the strength and protection of the marriages around you.

1 comment:

  1. Great blog my friend. Great reminder that if we want to enjoy a sweet relationship in our marriage...it takes a little work on our part and we will reap such wonderful benefits!

    ReplyDelete