Tuesday, January 3, 2012

New Year, New Hope


This New Year has been kind of strange for me. The last 6 years of my life have been action-packed. 2006- I bought a condo and met the man of my prayers. 2007-Rick and I were married. 2008- We became pregnant- what an adventure! 2009- We welcomed our sweet Selah into the world. 2010- We became pregnant again and had a risk of losing the baby. 2011- Our precious little Susannah was born. So, as we ushered in the 2012 New Year, I could not help but wonder what this year could possibly bring. Another baby? Perhaps. I know we would love another at some point.


My prayer for the year will be the same it has been for the last 3 years- for the Lord to provide in the area of our home situation. The 2 bedroom 1 bath 900 sq. ft. condo I bought when I was still single has now become a burden as it is extremely small for our growing family. Due to poor plumbing, we have had several floods which have taken their toll on our flooring, and the materials used in all rooms of the condo were inexpensive and showing much wear and tear. Because I received down payment assistance through a program for teachers, we cannot rent, refinance, sell, or event short sale without having to pay back this large sum of money. So, we have found ourselves stuck in a place that is not conducive for two energetic little girls, our desire for more children, our heart to have company over for fellowship, and our love for pets.

However, it has afforded us the luxury of allowing me to be a stay at home mother for the past 3 years. For that I am extremely blessed and thankful. So I continue to pray for the Lord to "bring us up out of 'the pit' " ( my nickname for our place on my really frustrated days) and "set our feet upon the rock". I long for a spacious kitchen to cook in, a living room large enough to entertain, and a little patch of grass for our children and pets to run around in. Just room to breathe. I know it will come in His time. But this 'pit' feeling is overwhelming at times. At times I feel much like the picture below. But I know the Lord has me here for a season and a reason. He is teaching me patience, contentment, and discipline. If I am not careful and disciplined, I can get distracted and discouraged focusing on this rather than the many blessings the Lord has given me and the job He has for me to do as a mom and wife.



I share this with you being completely transparent. Despite all that I have, this one area continues to burden my heart, distracting me from fulfilling God's will for my daily life. Making me feel ungrateful for all that I have and selfish for wanting more. Yet as I lay in bed at night awoken by a neighbor driving by blasting the bass, shaking the walls of our bedroom, I cannot help but cry out to God with my whole heart for mercy and a rescue.

Do you feel like that in some area of your life, be it a literal, physical, mental, emotional, relational, or spiritual 'pit'? What is the Lord teaching you in this area of your life? Have you lost hope? Is it causing you to lose focus in other areas of your life? Your 'pit' may not seem like a big deal to others, but to you it can be a source of despair, distraction, and even desperation.

I pray this new year will find you (and me) filled with hope. That the Lord will lift us up and set our feet on higher ground. I pray that we will not be distracted from being the best mommies and wives that the Lord has prepared and called us to be. I pray we will learn contentment in all situations and bless the Lord in all circumstances. May this year be the year of more- More of Him and less of us! May we not lose heart, looking forward to the harvest.



Lord, my hope is in You. You are Jehovah Jireh, my provider. Your grace is sufficient for me. I pray that You will lift me out of this pit and set my feet upon the rock. Please help me to keep my mind and heart focused on You, ever grateful for the gift of Your Son and my new life in You. Please help me to be content in all areas of my life and not allow myself to become distracted from doing Your will. Please instruct and guide me in this 'pit' area of my life. Please help me to not lose hope or heart and trust in You with all that I am. I pray that You would help me discipline my mind to focus on Your truth and Your promises and rest in them. Please help me to be the best mother and wife in all circumstances and instruct my children in how to handle hardship by example. I love You and trust in You Lord and look forward to the day that I can sit at Your feet and praise You face to face. I am Yours Lord. Come what may this year, I praise and bless Your name. In Jesus' name I pray, Amen.

4 comments:

  1. Great post Tammy! Sometimes we can zoom our focus in on one area of our life and it causes us to blur the peripheral and not be thankful for the other things. Thanks for the sweet reminder to be grateful for what we have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Tammy! Thanks for your transparency, I really needed to hear this today. Perfect timing -- thanks for sharing your heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tammy, your post really spoke to me! Thank you for being so transparent and for your awesome prayer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amen, Tammy! Thank you for your transparency! He is faithful!!!

    ReplyDelete