Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sweet Memories of Past



I began to reminisce this morning as a "Vineyard" song randomly played on Pandora on my laptop as I began to iron. It wasn't the song that I loved but the group. It brought me back to sweet memories I have of certain era in my life. It was 1998 when I first heard them and I had just decided to really start living my life for Christ. Aaaghhhh such sweet times. It reminded me of praise and worship nights, mission trips to Italy and Costa Rica. Of great friends and ministry opportunities. Of Backdoor Coffeehouse, a ministry for college-age students I served with. Isn't it crazy how one song can evoke such memories. These were memories tucked away in the rolodex of my mind that had helped chisel the character of who I am today. This got me thinking and stirred a hunger within me to create Christ-centered memories, of serving others, with my kids as well. Those memories are the ones with eternal value that bring a smile to their maker's face. They, too, will reminisce someday. 

Sometimes in life we can get so caught up in the busyness that we miss little opportunities to leave lasting memories/imprints in the mindset of our children. Two nights ago we got out a yellow note pad and decided to do Joannie's challenge, from one of her recent blogs. We sat down and wrote our memories of Christmas 2011. Then, we flipped it over and on the next page we separated it into four sections, one for each member of the Seawell Family. Yep Jack Jack had a section too! We then wrote down all the great things the Lord helped us accomplish this year. We laughed and cried about all Jesus had done in just one single year. We so enjoyed it that we have committed to doing this each year, and setting it inside the tub that holds our Christmas decorations. Thank you Joannie for a wonderful and refreshing suggestion. Time passes and we tend to forget all that has happened along the journey of life.

As you look back on 2011 what are some memories you cherish? Was it because of how much you had or who you were with? Sometimes we think if we lack finances we are unable to make great memories. That is not true. There are plenty of FREE things you can do as a family and still make lasting memories. I recently watched Francis Chan speak on the impact of serving others with your family. He said that sometimes we think we need to separate ministry and family time, and it's actually just the opposite. Francis shared about how much closer his family is now that he has taken time to serve alongside his children and wife.This, for me, is something I really want to do more of with my kids in 2012.It allows us to take the focus off ourselves place it on loving Christ and loving others (Luke 10:27). Doesn't that sound exciting?


And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds - Hebrews 10:24

A dad in our small group recently shared how much he enjoyed serving at the convalescent home with his young son and wanted to make that a more regular thing they do together. It blessed his heart to watch his four year old son smile and serve the elderly in the name of Jesus. The cost: time ...that's it! It was a free thing that really blessed him and the Lord too. I was encouraged by this dad, and I ,too, want to make memories that last and impact the lives of my children and the Kingdom too! Don't you?



"...those who refresh others will themselves be refreshed." - Proverbs 11:25

So practically...what does that look like? Set a goal that is achievable for you and your family.
What will be different in 2012? Will it be a year with your box filled in with great God-stories of what the Lord did through your family because you were willing to surrender?
What song will your children hear in a few years that causes them to pause and remember sweet times of serving Jesus together as a family? Give them the opportunity to serve alongside you and make those memories that have eternal rewards. Turn up the music!

2 comments:

  1. Amen, Kate! Loved this post!!!! My mind is churning already...trying to think of service projects we can do as a family. Praise God for sharpening me with this post!! By the way, we made such wonderful memories the last time we stayed with you guys...have to do that again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I finally read a blog and was so blessed by it! Thank you, Kate and each mommy contributor for producing such an encouraging blog. You motivate and inspire me to love, serve and parent better for His glory. I just now our Lord is saying "Well done, good and faithful servant!" about each one of you.

    ReplyDelete