Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Set Apart

As I'm typing on my husband's iPad still in Michigan I'll apologize for the shortness of this blog entry to start off. My parents are one of the few without a computer in their house, so a little trip to town and Starbucks was on the agenda this morning. And as I peck away at this screen, I'm laughing a little.

Not because typing this way is funny (cuz it's not). But because I love my parents and the way they choose to be different from the world that surrounds them. It really encourages me to think outside the box and try to instill this into my boys' lives.

My parents have 12 grandchildren, ten of them boys. Nine of them under the age of 8. And when they're at grandma and grandpa's it gets busy. But you know what's so sweet? My parent's are involved, they let the kids really experience real things and they never complain that their house is overcome by energetic little bodies.

My dad has a workshop on his property full of his saws and tools and other things and instead of saying "off limits" he sets out logs, a few hammers and a bucket of nails and the boys go to town "building" stuff. He collects walnuts once the trees drop them and lets the boys crack them open on the cement floor. The other day he hooked up four sleds to his tractor and pulled them around his property for a time of real excitement.

I think so often I get into a rut (especially living in the city) where we do the same things everyday and my mind doesn't get creative outside of the things that the rest of the world is doing. How does our society affect us and the things we do daily? Do you like it? Are you getting creative for your kids sake?

Our whole family was blessed to visit Amish country this past week and boy, did that give me new perspective. Talk about a group of people who do not let the world affect them. It was so refreshing to walk among them for a couple of days. The horses in the parking lot, the long dresses and hats, the smoke coming out of every chimney with the winter weather...wow. So different. And so convicting.

Where does God want me to change in this New Year to stand apart from the rest of the world?

I heard a man in the news the other day that said in order to cut down on his utility bill his family was going to have one night a week with no electric. They would light candles, build a fire, play games, enjoy the peace and quiet away from technology for a few hours one night a week.

You know, I don't have a workshop (yet) and I'll never be Amish (though I admire them greatly). But there are ways to set yourself apart from the world if you get creative enough and to teach your kids the value of being different. It's not too late. As my parents would do pop real popcorn and drizzle it with real butter and enjoy the experience with your kids.

God,
Help us to stop and think about the ways we are being influenced by the world this year. Give us clear minds to be deliberate for our kids. To make good choices that go beyond whatever is the easiest and the quickest. We know our kids are watching and learning, so give us direction, Lord.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Tracey! Sweet reminder of what is important...the time we spend with family and it is so wonderful when we set aside time from the busyness of life and allow our family to bond with each other. Sometimes we get so consumed with technology that we forget the simple things that can be fun as well!

    ReplyDelete