Sunday, January 8, 2012

Birthday reflections

“I took you from the ends of the earth,
from its farthest corners I called you.
I said, ‘You are my servant’;
I have chosen you and have not rejected you.
So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
Isaiah 41:9-10

This past Thursday I turned 35 years old. I had a sweet time with the Lord in the morning and as He led me to this scripture, I started to think about everything He has done for me. This is my journal entry for that day.

Thank You, Jesus, for all the work You’ve done for me. Once on the cross but then all Your patience and work to get me to where I am today. All the distractions, fears, idols, hurts and effects of this fallen world that You had to plow through to get me to be free to see You and to know You!
You never gave up on me, never got discouraged, even in my seasons of sin and when I denied You. You waited, You loved and You worked as soon as I allowed You back in. You purged by allowing hardships to show me where my faith was lacking and You comforted me when I couldn’t bear it any longer.

You have redeemed my childhood pains in so many ways. Being fatherless at the age of one, You have now become my Father. Feeling abandoned during moments of hurt throughout my school years, You have become my safe place. The discovery of the joys of creating, drawing and acting that was made fun of and shut down in me as a child, You have renewed and even brought praise and honor in my accomplishments. All the broken choices I’ve made, all the ground the enemy had gained on me through the years, You have thwarted it all.

There is nothing You have not redeemed, no dark place You’ve allowed to exist, all to set me free. Everything serves You and You can make good use of anything that comes at me if I allow You in. The hardships I’ve walked through with You have served to purify me by burning away pride, self sufficiency and self righteousness and to teach me compassion and love for others. Now You’ve granted me lasting friendships and a family that protects and loves me unconditionally.
Jesus, You have done it ALL with consideration to what I’ve been through yet without allowing anything to be my excuse for not growing. You are My Redeemer and God. Thank You.

The next morning as I was enjoying the blessings of having family and godly friends in place for me here in Georgia and in such short time, God led me to this verse.

I have given you a land for which you did not labor, and cities which you did not build, and you dwell in them; you eat of the vineyards and olive groves which you did not plant.’
“Now therefore, fear the LORD, serve Him in sincerity and in truth, and put away the gods which your fathers served on the other side of the River and in Egypt. Serve the LORD!
   Josh.24:13-14


Giving my life to God in may, 1994 was the best decision I've ever made. It has made all birthdays since then a wealth of priceless memories as each year passes and I can see God more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment