Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Clothed

27Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 28If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith! 29And do not set your heart on what you will eat or drink; do not worry about it. 30For the pagan world runs after such things, and your Father knows that you need them. 31But seek the kingdom, and these things will be given to you as well. (Luke 12:27-31)

When Kate first asked me to write for this blog I had been through quite a year with our move to Florida but knew also that God had brought us here and had provided everything we could possibly need and more. That's why making the decision to write wasn't very hard for me. 1-I felt like I had a lot to share in how God had provided for us in our move and 2-I was so grateful to God for his provision that it felt very natural to want to glorify Him in all of this.

I picked these verses for a couple of reasons. First, I love this passage. I love how direct it is and gives a clear picture of how much our God loves us. But mostly, I picked these verses b/c it encompasses our last year here and I wanted to encourage all of you to look at how God has worked in your life in the past couple months or year to show you that you matter more than the lilies of the field.

My favorite season, by far, is fall. I love the crisp air, the colors on the trees and fires being burned. Pumpkins and rain and baking...yum. I love it. So, when we first committed to Florida and I started to pack, I really had to pack away some of those favorite things in my mind...maybe to pull out again while visiting family up north or an eventual move that would take us back to seasons. Whatever was going to happen, I knew that I had to change my mindset to palm trees and 80 degree weather and find the beauty in that. Fall would not be following us to south Florida.

Or would it?

Apparently, last year was an unusually cold winter for Floridians. While we were enjoying the pool in our neighborhood, we'd spot our HOA president walking her dog wearing a down jacket. Who were these people, we thought. We were trying to catch some rays while she was dressed to go skiing. LOL. Where were we living?!

But something was happening in those cool "winter" months of January and February and the trees were not liking it. Cooper, Griffin and I would take a walk almost every morning around our neighborhood and the few hardwood trees that were planted in this balmy climate were starting to drop there leaves. Cooper would say, "Mom, when is it going to be fall so we can rake the leaves?" And my heart dropped thinking I know there are a few leaves on the ground, but we're not going to be able to rake them. There's just no way.

I was having a pity party inside myself thinking about it...

And then one week it happened. The little climbing tree that Cooper had asked for before we left to look at houses began to color. The leaves were changing to red and it actually looked like a fall tree. In Florida. In our backyard. What?! Within a few days every leaf dropped out of that little tree and the ground below it was covered. I couldn't believe it! And you can bet I raked up every little leaf into the biggest pile I could so the boys were able to jump into it.

HE DID IT AGAIN!

He did the impossible (or so I thought it was impossible) to prove His love for us again. I think some people might call that coincidence, but I like to think of it as a wink from the sky.

I know this passage says, "If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you..?, but to experience a reflection of what this means brings this verse to life more clearly.

Have you had an experience like this before? Have you ever felt like He's been that close? Think back on your last year and praise Him for the things that He has taken you through and share with me the hope of a living God. That He WILL continue to move mountains for His people and that He loves us more than we'll ever know.

Dear Lord,
There are times when we forget all that you do and have done in our lives. So much, that we start taking our life for granted and expect more and more. Please give us clear pictures today of the things you've blessed us with. Our children, our husbands, our families, our homes, jobs, friends...you have clothed us all with your love and I pray that we would find joy in that.
In Your Name,
Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment