Monday, February 27, 2012

The Corner Piece

“He who finds a wife finds what is good and receives favor from the Lord”. Proverbs 18:22

I am a “center gal”. I love the center piece of a brownie (yep, the one in the middle of the pan). I love the center piece of a casserole, of lasagna, etc. I think the piece with absolutely no crust in and the dead center of everything good is the best part of any dish. Because this is my favorite part, for years I would fix my husband’s plate for dinner (or whatever meal we were eating at the time) and I would give him my prized center piece. I saw it as an act of love…to give him the piece that I thought was best…the one I really wanted for myself! After several years of doing this, my husband one day asked me, “Why don’t you ever give me the corner piece? I love the corners! That is my favorite part!” What? You mean after all these years of me sacrificing my delicious center piece he really wanted the corner piece all along? I would be happy to give him that! Then he added, “I am a corner man.”

When I think about the above situation, it makes me laugh. I now gracefully devour the center piece and my husband inhales the corner pieces. :) But more importantly, I learned that day (and am still learning), how important open communication is in marriage. Sometimes we mistakenly assume we know what our husbands really want, and then we try our best to give him that. However, I ran across an excerpt from a book today that I really want to share with you. Here it goes:

Have a Meeting of the Minds with Your Husband

For years I placed unrealistic expectations on myself because I thought I knew what I needed to be a great wife to my husband. I ran myself ragged trying to keep up “the perfect wife charade.” Then one day the thought occurred to me that I had never stopped to ask my husband his definition of a good wife. His answer was so simple: ‘Take good care of the kids, exercise to stay in shape, and keep the house tidy.”
I was stunned and wondered, That’s it? Where are the 500 other things I thought I needed to be doing for you that have resided on my to- do list all these years?
He helped me see that if I did these top three things he felt very happy and well taken care of. The other things could be delegated to another family member, and he was the first to volunteer. He now does all the grocery shopping and is happy to do it.
All it took was a simple question. Try asking your husband his definition of a good wife—you might be surprised and relieved by his answer!”

Excerpt taken from Leading Women to the Heart of God by Lysa Terkeurst

Prayer:

Heavenly Father,
In your graciousness and your infinite wisdom, you made us all so wonderfully unique. We were created in your image and likeness, and we praise you for that. God please help us to be a reflection of you to each other in our marriages, and may we love you and our spouse more with each passing day. Father, please help us to communicate honestly and freely with one another, and may your grace fill in all the gaps. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen.

Challenge: Ask your husband what his definition of a good wife is. Try your best (and pray for help) putting his ideas into practice. :)

5 comments:

  1. So well put and what a great question to ask our husbands! Thanks girl!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I love this!! I'm speaking on Communication Thursday. I'll use you as the "center" example!! (Excluding names to be sure!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Teresa, I did the same thing with Rick! That is so funny! I always thought if I gave him the best in the little things, it would help me give him my best in the big things. I am glad to have my center piece back, and he is now happily enjoying his corners. =) Great blog, my friend! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sooooo funny! Thank you for your feedback and encouragement!

      Delete