Sunday, February 5, 2012

"Time Well Spent" by Sheila


How do you and your family spend your time? I recently spoke to a friend of mine, Lena, who advised me that she and her husband decided to have three nights a week to focus on their family. One night they do Bible night where they leave the TV off and have 15-20 minutes of Bible study with their toddlers. Another night they have family night where they finish dinner, leave the dishes in the sink, and spend time on the floor with the boys playing cars or reading books just together having fun as a family. On the third night they put the kids to bed early and focus on their marriage and parenting. This talk really made me think about what we do as a family.
Our schedule is always changing being that my husband is a firefighter and away every third day. I also work as a nurse in two different locations which require me to do 12-14 hour shifts. This along with 3 kids ages 2, 4, and 11 can pull at my time in so many ways that I wonder if I am spiritually filling my kids, myself, or my marriage. I wonder if I am pouring into my marriage properly or learning all I can about parenting my kids the way God wants me to. We are all busy moms but sometimes I just feel that I am spending my time doing things that have done my family and me no good. I realize everyone’s home is different and I was just curious as to how you spent your time. I wanted to open this blog up to comments and encourage the readers to take part into blessing the hearts of others. There are so many women who read this that can contribute their God given, wonderful ideas that have worked to inspire their families. Please comment and let us all know what has worked for you and your family.
I will go first. My 11 year old daughter and I do devotions on the way to school in the morning and we pray. My husband and I try to read a new Bible story to the little ones every night. Every day we spend time with the younger ones at parks and various locations where we can play and teach them.  We have taken the parenting classes at church along with many small groups focusing on parenting. My husband and I pray together and try to have at least one get away every couple of months. We have done Love and Respect and other marriage necessities but as far as a steady schedule we have yet to stick to anything. Can’t wait to hear your ideas!
 
Where no counsel
is, the people fall: 
but in the multitude of counsellers there is safety.- Proverbs 11:14

No comments:

Post a Comment